1998 Ford Mustang won't idle

My sister in law has 1998 FORD MUSTANG 6 Cylinders 232 4 3.8L SFI. The car will start after several tries but it wants to stall out if you give it gas. My nephew changed fuel filter, spark plugs, and spark plug wires. There is some backfiring in the throttle body when trying to get it started.

She does not have the money to bring it to a mechanic to have them put it on a machine. Nephew managed to drive it to Autozone and they told him it was the fuel pump or the mass air flow sensor. He did not get the codes from them and I do not have a reader. Is there a way to read the codes from the check engine light by making it flash?

Any ideas what may be causing her problem?

Thanks for any help given. Trying to help a single mom with a dead beat dad save some money, if this is a problem I can fix my self.

Sarge

Reply to
Sarge

With all the sympathy for the situation, it would a miracle if anyone here diagnoses the problem with so little information. And if they did, they would be guessing, making you blow money on parts that you probably don't need. You have to check the basics: spark, fuel pressure and trouble codes. At the risk of stating the obvious: make sure that your nephew did not mix up the ignition wires when replacing them.

Good Luck

Reply to
Happy Traveler

Happy Traveler wrote: "With all the sympathy for the situation, it would a miracle if anyone here diagnoses the problem with so little information. And if they did, they would be guessing, making you blow money on parts that you probably don't need. You have to check the basics: spark, fuel pressure and trouble codes. At the risk of stating the obvious: make sure that your nephew did not mix up the ignition wires when replacing them."

Spark is good, I got the car started and tried to drive it. I did not go but around the block. All the auto parts stores are 5 miles away. I am afraid to try and drive it that far without looking at obvious stuff.

The fuel pump works fine. It is acting like it is flooding out when you try to give it some gas.

I checked the spark plug wires and they are correctly installed.

I thinking it is something in the throttle body.

Sarge

Reply to
Sarge

Just a shot in the dark but, try cleaning the MAF unit. You will need an aerosol can of residue free electrical contact cleaner. If you google around a bit, you can see pictures of it and maybe get step by step instructions on the job. You will also need a T20 tamper resistant torx bit. Most parts places have a small set for under $10US.

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut

"lugnut" wrote: "Just a shot in the dark but, try cleaning the MAF unit. You will need an aerosol can of residue free electrical contact cleaner. If you google around a bit, you can see pictures of it and maybe get step by step instructions on the job. You will also need a T20 tamper resistant torx bit. Most parts places have a small set for under $10US."

Thanks, I try that on my way home from work tomorrow.

Sarge

Reply to
Sarge