What on earth does "SFI OHV" mean?

My mom has a 2001 Taurus SE with a 3.0L V6 SFI OHV engine. Th

transmission went out and my dad is trying to replace it - calling jun yards and the like. But he has no idea what he needs, and frankly neither do I...can anyone help me

-- SassyEnviroChick

Reply to
SassyEnviroChick

OHV = Over Head Valves (all car engines made in the last 40 years or so are OHV).

SFI = Sequential Fuel Injection. Also standard on virtually all engines these days.

Neither have anything to do with the transmission.

Reply to
E Frank Ball III

Its either the 17 bolt pan AX4S or the 19 bolt pan AX4N. Go here:

« Paul »

Yeah, that really doesnt matter w/ the tranny.

Reply to
G-man422

trans identification is tricky. if you're determined to get one from the junkyard (which i don't recommend), make certain that everything's the same, including the year model. being a 2001, it's more than likely an ax4n, but ford has changed several things on those trans over the years. the sensors mounted on the outside of the transmission are quite a bit different from year to year. if the junkyard has a way to match it up with the vin number, you have a decent shot of getting a match. be careful, though, buying a used trans is like buying a used battery. it probably won't last long.

Reply to
dsguy

Sequential Fuel Injection Overhead Valve. IOW, nothing special at all. :-)

Reply to
Steve

The tranny on my '03 Taurus has the transmission model number stamped on the pan. Considering that the roads are filled with Taurus, the junk yards should be, too. Any repair shop or junkyard worth anything will be able to help you.

Just a question, though. Why are you doing this search yourself? If you aren't mechanically inclined then you shouldn't be shopping for used transmissions.

Matthew

Reply to
mandtprice

Thank y'all so much!! I appreciate it - and to answer - I'm doing th search myself because mechanics cost money! :) Thanks again

-- SassyEnviroChick

Reply to
SassyEnviroChick

SFI stands for Sequential Fuel Injection, meaning fuel is injected into the cylinders in the order that they fire. OHV stands for Overhead Valve, meaning valves are located in the cylinder head. Roy "SassyEnviroChick" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@news.autobanter.com...

Reply to
ROY BRAGG

They cost money because of what they know.

-phaeton.

Reply to
phaeton

Which is that a junkyard Taurus probably has a bad transmission? :(

nate

(hey, SOMEONE had to say it, even if it's not good news, it's still the truth.)

Reply to
Nate Nagel

My 2003 Sable came with a 6 year 75,000 mile warranty, providing

-full- coverage on the powertrain. I suggest that OP looks at the paperwork that came with the vehicle to see what it says. IOW, OP might be able to get a NEW transmission at no cost, at the dealership.

Lg

Reply to
Lawrence Glickman