1998 Ford Taurus SE - No heat

Hi Folks

I have this car mentioned above with the 3.0 Engine. I have diagnosed the air door baffles under the dash are working. I can hear every one move. There is No heat or very little. When I'm driving fast theres a small amount of heat then cools when I stop or slow down. I had to put in a New Water Pump last month so thats not the problem. My question is, is there a valve somewhere under the hood that controls or allows the engine water to run thru the hot water coil? whats it look like and can I change it? Is it electrically controlled?

Thanks

Larry

Reply to
Larry P

Sorry, no such valve.

Your heater core is plugged. Attempts to flush/backflush the core are typically successful, but to the point at which the core usually ruptures/breaks/pinholes, eventually requiring replacement. This is a common Taurus/Sable issue.

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

Thanks for the Insight Rob What you say makes sense. But in todays technology, is there a coolant additive that might help reduce the clog or dissipate it some? (without hurting the rest of the system)

Larry

Reply to
Larry P

It is a maintanance issue. People just don't flush the cooling system like they used to, and if it is done, the backflush is not done properly. Today's glycol coolants are very good at corrosion and deposit protection(good enough to last an entire ownership cycle - which is part of the problem), but some cars are more susceptible to problem than others.

Stop in to AutoZone or Advance Auto and see if any of the counterpeople have any real-life experience with any of the cooling flush products. You might just get lucky and get the blockage out without "surgery".

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1