1998 taurus serpentine belt replacement Help Also Pwr Steering

1998 taurus serpentine belt replacement Help I got a taurus from a friend needs a belt. looked up online and bought tool 15 mm socket on long flat bar 3/8 drive . I put it on center bolt lowwer idler pulley when iI pull it forward I I am gettin noise like stripped bolt ?????? Am I doing this correctly ???

ALso car is supppose to have a power steering problem I assume it steers very very hard I got a rebuilt power steering pump in case that issue and a puller for pullet

ANy taurus experts out there who know the deal ?????

email me @ snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.coBostonBill snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Thanks in advance

Reply to
BostonBill83

if its a 3.0 12 valve its a pita. Im suprized you even got the socket on. the tensioner is very tight you probably just need to pull harder. and it wont move much either. not a fun belt to change. it would be easy for someone with three hands :)

Reply to
ShoeSaleman

I haven't done this job since 4:00 today!

Does your bar give when the noise is made? Is there any give at all? With a new belt (850) on the Vulcan, this is a very tight fit. The tensioner has to be deflected quite a bit.

Is there a belt on it now?

If the steering is difficult, it may be the tensioner is bad and the belt is slipping.

Tensioner replacement is actually quite easy if it needs to be done. You may even want to remove it to inspect it and narrow down your troubles.

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

the belt was broke when i got the car tore in two

there was poer steering fluig on cap n cavaties like they had been adding to it

when i pull the tool i hear a creak like a stripped bolt

i think the tensione housing may have stripped bolt i used a tool with crows foot on it 15 mm snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Reply to
BostonBill83

Replace the tensioner. About $40.00 I'd guess. One Bolt.

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

I've never had much luck using the crow's foot on my Taurus, I have to use the socket. The nut on the tensioner is a little rounded off on mine. To get it on I have found it helps if you have a long sturdy pipe to use as a prybar to move the engine ever so slightly to allow you enough room to slip the socket on. I stick the pipe right beside the nut on the tensioner and leverage it on the on the body of the car, and it gives me just enough space to slip on the serp. belt tool with a

15 MM socket attached. Helps if you have a second pair of hands around.

Also you didn't say which engine you have, Vulcan or Duratech. On the Vulcan you rotate clockwise, on the duratech it is the opposite direction.

H> the belt was broke when i got the car tore in two

Reply to
Jeremiah Greer

why dont ya buy a serp belt tool ya foctards

h u r c

Reply to
ogeefrommikoogee

I did buy tool but i have bought three belts all wrong

the tensioner was blown replaced that

i have choice of 85 7/8 long belt or 85 1/2 from what i see online

noone seems to be able to give me right belt...i used to wrench professionally in college

geeeeshhhhhhh ok its a 3.0 but whats vulcan or duratech and how do you tell ?

I think power steering pump is shot and maybe air conditioner clutch as well

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Reply to
BostonBill83

How did you arrive at your choice?

You have to know which engine you have to get the right belt.

Vulcan - 12 Valves / 2 valves per cylinder - cam in block - VIN 1,VIN 2, VIN U

- 85.5" belt

Duratech - 24 Valves / 4 valves per cylinder - OHC = Over Head Cam(s)

75" Belt

My guess is that you are ending up with "too much" belt(followed the wrong route) leading you to believe it's the wrong one. Follow the belt routing diagram, put the belt on everything but the alternator pulley, swing the tensioner enough to slip over the alternator pulley... it will have to swing a lot more than you think, too, there's a lot of tension on that drive.

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1