2000 Windstar rear fan blower problem

The blower fan for the rear air stopped working suddenly one day. No bad noises or such.Checked the fuses under the dash and all are fine. When trying to turn it on at the front control panel or the rear control panel, you can hear the relays clicking in the back. One time the blower suddenly turned on and all controls worked fine for a couple of days. Now have nothing again. It is might cold here right now and rear air is pretty important. (1.2 degrees farheneit!)

My question is what is the most common cause of this problem? Where would be a good place to start troubleshooting? I figure the most likely causes are relays (there is 4 near the rear blower motor) wiring, and switches. How can I narrow this down quickly, so we aren't freezing trying to fix it too? ;)

Thanks in advance!

Reply to
SingingWinds

have to actually get near the motor. 12v test lite. also look for a resistor/cutout assy in the plenum/duct. That is the speed resistor assy for the motor, unless it is continuously variable, not just multi speed.

If the lead to motor has 12v on it, rap the motor.. could be brushes.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic