2001 Taurus transmission leaking

I have a 2001 Taurus that is driving me nuts. Let me give some background on it. Last fall, I noticed some transmission fluid under it when I parked it in the garage. I cleaned it up, and looked for a leak, saw a little around the pan, so I though, maybe a pan gasket. It was due for a fluid change anyway. So, changed fluid, filter and a new gasket. No leaks.....so I though that was it.

However a couple of weeks later, there was that red puddle under the car. I had puked out a couple of ounces of oil. Now this time, the pan area was dry as a bone. I read that maybe some seals could be causing it, so I bought some lucas oil transmission conditioner that was supposed to stop leaks. I put it in, and drove it a couple hundred miles, and wow...no leaks any more.

I was happy....

Now it's June and I saw that puddle of transmission fluid under the car, so I put the rest of the rest of the bottle in, and now we seem to not be leaking again for over a month.

Today, I get home, and stop for a couple of hours, and when I leave, there is that small puddle there. Cannot see anything where it was coming from, just the small puddle.

So I check the fluid level, and it's down about 1/4 the way between full and add. Showed a little leaked out, but not much.

Anybody seen this?

Been driving me nuts off and on. This car has 135,000 miles on it, and I really don't want to put a lot of money in this car. I could spend about 5 to 7 hundred dollars or so, but do not want to replace tranny in car with this many miles and this kind of age to it.

Before I do that, I'll unload the car and get another one. I do like this car, and otherwise, it runs great. I hate to get rid of a car this size that can still get 30-35 miles per gallon when I put it on the highway. (I just did it today actually)

Thanks for any info.

Stu

Reply to
Stuart

maybe you can park it over a peice of cardboard when you bring it in and watch for the drip to see where its coming from.

ds549

You've just learned that $5 "magic in a can" doesn't work. Your transmission has a leak that needs to be repaired. It could be a $50 axle seal, or a $1K input seal. Take it to a shop and find out where the leak is. Then decide if you want to have it fixed. Keep in mind that the "stop leak" you dumped in can, and will damage other seals in the long term. (You've just had a wallet flush, courtesy of Lucas).

Reply to
Tom Adkins

Is it shifting ok? If the VSS is not working right and shift points are erratic it could be over heating the puking out the fluid.

Also, check the fittings where the trannie cooler lines mate with the trannie. clean it all off with degreasers, then look for the fresh leaks. Or, your trannie cooler could be clogged or restricted.

If its got a 3.0V in it, 125K is not all that much mileage.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Urz

Shifting great actually. Ironically, I just replaced a VSS on my daughter's 99 Taurus, so I have seen what happens when they go out. I was thinking about the overheating, and the cooling lines issue too. Sounds like a plan to try. Strange thing is that there is no visable leakage around when I find that it pukes it out. Also, this is not a daily, or even weekly occurrance, and it only leaks after it sits for about an hour. I have never seen a leak while running. I have never seen a leak when it's just sitting for 10-15 minutes either. Only after it sits for a while. As stated, it's been a year since I had trouble, and after the Lucas conditioner, (which stopped it leaking for about a year, so it was not money wasted, and it's not much more expensive than tranny fluid actually). I think I'll hit every think with brake cleaner to clean the parts off, and go looking first, then take it to a shop. I am really thinking about that tranny cooler being clogged, since it does seem to happen after a long drive or city traffic.

Yes it's the 3.0. I have a friend that has a 97 with 225,000 on his and it still purrs like a kitten.

Thanks again, Stu

On Thu, 12 Jul 2007 08:00:07 -0500, Bob Urz wrote:

Reply to
Stuart

As far as longevity, this engine has got to be one of the best on earth, at least one of the best ever built by Ford. As for the tranny leak, make sure that your vent tube is not plugged.

Reply to
Kruse

Vent tube? Hmmm...never thought of that. This past week, I drove it about 400 miles and not a drop leaked out. Of that 400 miles, yesterday was 200 with some nasty Chicago traffic thrown in to heat up things. I'll have to find this vent tube and see. I love a car that doesn't use a drop of oil between changes, and still gets over 30mpg on the highway at a 70mph average speed. Gotten as high as 36 with it a few times, but always will pull in at least 30 on the highway.

Thanks for the info,

Stu

Reply to
Stuart