2003 Windstar Subframe

My wife told me that she had driven in an under construction subdivision, with unfinished streets, and had a flat tire. When I drove the van the front end was creaking and groaning terribly. It was then that she told me she had hit an exposed manhole jutting from the *street* and ripped the back out of the front tire. I took the van to the dealer for a look see and was told they tried what they could, but the subframe was damaged and needed to be replaced. As I needed the van, I thanked them and planned to schedule the work. When I drove the van all the noise was/is gone. It is my understanding that just about everything is attached to this subframe. My question is this. Should I worry about this? Is there any chance that they got the sub back in position? Do you suppose that everything is just a bit mis-aligned and I am damaging components? Thanks.

Reply to
jeff wald

I have to look at it *this* way.... It has been looked at and ruled as "damaged goods".... I can't see it from my chair and you want me to say it's "good to go"????

This is where a little bit of that illusive "common sense" needs to be applied.... There is nobody that can tell you if this thing is safe to drive or not without looking at it. Imagine phoning the doctor and saying "my foor hurts" and expecting a diagnosis....

For your own safety, have the vehicle inspected by a trained technician before you continue to operate it..... It has undergone what sound to be a traumatic event. If the safety of the car is compromised you might get lucky and only kill people that wont sue you.

Reply to
Jim Warman

Jim, As I mentioned in the OP, I had the van looked at by a dealer and was told the sub was damaged. I intended to have it fixed. I didn't really want you to give me the green light on anything. I realize that this is important, but the dealer never said, or inferred, or even hinted that it was dangerous to drive off the lot until repaired. I thought that perhaps someone else may have had a similar occurrence and could share their experience. It was also suggested to me, and I agree from time to time, that some people are in the business of selling un-necessary services, be it for cars, electronics, or.. you fill in the blank. I was trying to see if I was heading in the right direction with the repair. Thanks.

Reply to
jeff wald