2005 Ford Five Hundred

Check out this Ford 500 site. Lots of good info. I don't know if I'm going to buy one yet (I have a 2000 Taurus).... since it looks like it's the Taurus replacement. I like AWD though.

Swanny

"Swanny" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

How in the HELL did that beautiful concept car that was a cross between a '63 Galaxie and a '49 Custom become THIS ugly piece of crap?

It looks like a cross between a Crown Vic and a Taurus. Throw in a bit of Chevy Caprice and you've got it.

Reply to
scroob

Actually, it's only the first of 2 cars replacing the Taurus. The 500 is based on the Volvo S80 and is slightly larger than the Taurus. It will ofer all-wheel drive soon. The Ford FreeStyle is a 'don't you dare call it a station wagon' crossover version.

Next year, there will be a slightly smaller than Taurus car based on the Mazda6 platform. Lincoln will also get a version of this named Zephyr. The Ford (was to be named Futura, but dropped due to a lawsuit) and Mercury versions have not been given official names yet.

Reply to
Andrew Rossmann

I think I'd drive one of those

Reply to
Petebert

I'd drive one. It seems to still be quite Taurus like (they could call it Taurus and the name wouldn't be out of place), yet the Volvo components might sway Ford skeptics. I like that they are going with the Duratec engine from the Taurus. Hopefully the 6 speed and CVT transmission are much better than the AXOD and AXOD based predecessors. And have you seen the size of the trunk? It's bigger than a Crown Vic! Although the car is a little more European looking than I'd like.

I was worried that the only Taurus successor would be a smaller Mazda 6 based design, because I want a bigger car than the 6. Only problem is I don't see Column shift / 6 seater version.

Reply to
Bill 2

If you want a Taurus you will still be able to get one. A nicely equipped 16K Taurus will still be manufactured at the Atlanta assembly plant in Hapeville GA, for at least one more year.. I had the opportunity to drive both the AWD and a six speed FWD 500. Once you see and drive one you will not want a Taurus. The 500 is light years ahead of anything in its price range. The 500 will sell for several thousands below a similarly equipped V6 Camry or Accord, both of which are smaller.

mike hunt

Bill 2 wrote:

Reply to
MelvinGibson

Oh I know they still make Tauruses. I was surprised to still see 2005 Tauruses but there they were (I thought 2004 was the last year). I currently have a 2000 Taurus and was just looking at what I can replace it with in a few years.

Any idea when they will arrive at Canadian dealers? And what will be the base price?

Reply to
Bill 2

The 500 and the Mercury Montego are currently in the start of production. My source says pricing will be consistent with 2004 Taurus/Sable pricing. The AWD will add around $800 to the base price.

mike hunt

Bill 2 wrote:

Reply to
MelvinGibson