2005 mustang convertible, v6 or v8 ?

Well, OK, I want a new Mustang convertible. Should I get the V6 or V8 ?

The V6 Premium convertible has a MSRP of $25,320 (before options) with a 5 speed manual. EPA milage is 19 / 28 mpg. ABS brakes are $775.

The GT premium convertible has a MSRP of $30,550 (before options) with a 5 speed manual. EPA milage is 17 / 25 mpg. ABS brakes are standard.

Which one ? Is the V8 worth $4,000 ? Can you even get a V8 without paying a serious premium ?

Thanks, Lynn

Reply to
Lynn

Get the V8! They don't call it a muscle car for no reason. If you really want an "authentic" muscle car, the car should have no less than

8 cylinders under the hood.

Plus a V8 sounds a whole lot different than a V6. The sound of the V8's low grunty exhaust can never be duplicated by a smaller engine.

I don't know why anyone would buy a Stang as a V6 automatic! Also, there used to be an L4 option in the past, what an abomination!

Reply to
eastwardbound2003

Hey Lynn... get the V8. It's only a few grand more and you won't be sorry that you did.

Unless of course horsepower isn't a big deal to you, but resale value may be something to consider too.

Kate

98 Cobra Drop Top with a personal touch... or two.
Reply to
SVTKate

Didn't the first 64.5 Mustang only come with an inline 6? (I honestly don't remember, but I think so). The V-8s were the ultimate, but Ford sold a ton of

6cyl 'Stangs over the years. I believe the 6'es were in the majority for a few model years according to the sales figures. I know the "aberration" 4 bangers out sold the V-8s and V-6s for quite a while. So "while yer bullshittin"..... The Mustang was\is esentially a 6 cyl economy car with V-8 variants, even in the dark years of the Mustang II. Begone, Poser.

To the OP. Test drive both and decide what you like. The combo's are available to suit a range of buyers. Only you can decide what'd right for you. There really is no be all, end all. My Alpha Male part says "grunt..give me....grunt... V-8, 5 speed" while the 40ish maried guy with kids part of me says " I can afford to drive the V-6, and it IS kinda peppy", while the wife part (appendage?) says " Hey, #&%%$##, I want a V-8 with an Automatic, I hate shifting". Above all, if you can afford it, buy what YOU like.

Reply to
Tom Adkins

Wrong. Look at the specifications of the mustangs from 2000 to 2005. How much do they weigh on average considering all the different configurations? Now look at the older Mustangs comparing what's sold now to what the first generation mustang was set up. Notice the huge weight gain over the years?

What it all comes down to is that the V6 or inline 6 is not powerful enough to get the stang going especially if the buyer opts to get it with an automatic transmission. Automatic transmissions are inferior to manual 5 speeds and they will always be inferior to manual 5 speeds. If you really want to true driving experience, only a manual transmission will suffice.

Reply to
eastwardbound2003

"Lynn" wrote in part:

It depends on how you like to drive it, costs, and resale issues. If you enjoy a convertible for tooling around in the breeze, a 6 will do that just fine. If you want lots of torque and speed, it won't.

How well the two models will hold their value will largely depend on the price of gasoline at resale. If it's $2/gallon, the 8 will probably do fine, maybe better than the 6. If it's $4/gallon, I'd guess the 6 will be worth more. If it's $8/gallon, most V8s will be parked in back yards rusting away.

Get the ABS in any case.

-- Jim Chinnis Warrenton, Virginia, USA

Reply to
Jim Chinnis

If one gallon of regular unleaded gasoline reaches over the $8 USD mark than the whole globe will be devastated in the greatest "depression" era that the world will ever know. If that happens, it wouldn't matter anyway if all V8's end up rusting in back yards, driveways and neighborhood streets. The internal combusion engine as we know it would become a toy only for the wealthy who can still get their money of of banks that didn't shut down. Even at $8 a gallon you wouldn't be able to get the majority of em to buy pocket cars that run off of 2 cylinders with only standard shifts. The whole worlds would be devastated and there wouldn't be any jobs...

Reply to
eastwardbound2003

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in part:

Not according to most economists. And it depends on how the price rises. If it's partly from shifting taxes to fossil fuels to reduce consumption, as has already been done in most of the world, the effect on the economy is minimal. The ones most hurt are the ones with big investmests in things that waste fuel.

-- Jim Chinnis Warrenton, Virginia, USA

Reply to
Jim Chinnis

The V8 will return much more of your original investment in three years, than a V6. Unless you want the super sound system, you are better off ordering the Deluxe and upgrade to leather. You can save $1,000 off the MSRP. I have a 2005, MSRP was $31,380. I had three other GT convertibles a 1999, 2001 and 2003. The were all 4sp automatics, my 2005 has the 5 speed automatic It is a much better car all around than the others I've owned. I sold the

2003 that I bought for $27,600 for 22K. It cost me $29,800 to drive home the 2005 Deluxe with lather and the better wheels

mike hunt

Lynn wrote:

Reply to
DustyRhoades

The original Mustang came with a 200 CID straight 6 and two V8s. I own a 1964 Mustang Convertible, that I bought new, with the 225 HP 289 V8. There was also a 271 HP 289 V8. My car cost me around $2,800 new, today it is worth around $48,000. ;)

Ford just upped the production number for the 2005, by 80,000, because of the unexpended high demand for the V8 and the newly introduced convertible

mike hunt

Tom Adk>

Reply to
DustyRhoades

lmfao recession only in the USA lmfao CANADA RULES

in alberta we are RICH BWhahahahahaha I HOPE GAS AND OIL PRICES GO UP

Reply to
gerald smith

I guess you have not driven one of the new Mustangs with the 5 sp automatic. The number for both the automatic and the manual are virtually equal and you don't need to worry about missing a gear or shifting too late. Beside there is no convertible out there in the Mustangs GTs price range that can run with the new Mustang automatic even with a manual. ;)

mike hunt

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Reply to
DustyRhoades

not much diffrence in gas milage in real life

why get the abs ??

hurc ast

Reply to
gerald smith

The V8 Mustangs EPA is 17/25 MPG, the six is 18/27.

mike hunt

Jim Ch>

Reply to
DustyRhoades

snipped-for-privacy@mailcity.com wrote in part:

Ouch. It's a no-brainer, then.

-- Jim Chinnis Warrenton, Virginia, USA

Reply to
Jim Chinnis

Jim Chinnis wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Most economists are idiots who respond by looking at some data sheet full of extrapalated theoretical bullshit compiled by a Pothead listening to Rap Music which is now the official sign of American Intellect. Then there's the Alan Alzheimer's Greenspan type, who do the biding of whatever politician they need to keep their job. If we have $8 a gallon gasoline prices anytime in the near future our economy will be devastated beyond anything ever seen in this country. Of course we seem to be doing a good job of exporting our culture of Drugs and Rap Music to every part of the world we get involved in. I saw a recent TV program which interviewed young Iranians who were asked what they liked about America and they thought this American Rap was great. Iraqi's also agree. We can save billions in military spending by just exporting our own destructive culture to all our enemies. We can then give this money to the Oil and Automotive companies who will solve our transportation problems.

Reply to
tango

why kind of lather? Was from washing the car? Or perhaps, you were shaving in the back seat? ;-)

Sorry, couldn't resist.

you can wait until the 2006 models come out. Perhaps the demand will decrease because of an increased supply. It is impossible to tell if the demand will keep up with the supply. However, I am positive that Ford did not decide to increase the supply unless they expected to make a lot of money on the car. i would not be surprised if there are better incentives or lower prices on the 2005 models at the end of the model year.

Personally, if I wanted a Mustang, I would go and get one and enjoy. I wouldn't take the bet that the price would go down at the end of the model year.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

So it's settled than. Get the V8 and don't even bother considering a V6. You will not regret this decision. Your V8 Stang will retain it's resale value much better with a V8.

Also don't get an automatic. If you have never driven a stick than you wouldn't know where the manual transmission enthusiasts are coming from. If you have and have mastered it (anyone can with practice) than you would realize that it's the #1 way to go for true performance and full control of the vehicle. Many who thought that they wouldn't like a manual trans car have never looked back again after they have mastered a manual transmission. Manual is definately the way to go.

East-

Reply to
eastwardbound2003

If one is the average American new car buyer you trade your car for another ever three to four years. In that event there is no advantage to waiting till the end of the model year to buy ones cars. The reason is, deprecation and the fact manufacture always raise prices throughout the model year. By the end of the year the MSRP could easily go up $1,000. One of my friends bought a

2003 exactly like mime down to the color in April of 2003. With the $1,000 rebate at the time he paid only $300 less than I. Even what looks like a $3,000 saving is lost three years later when you trade the car and it is worth that much less because it is a four year old model not three.

I.E. I bought a 1999 Mustang GT convertible in October of 1998. I sold in in 2000 when it was two model years old but only one calendar year old, so it brought a nice price. I bought a 2001 in September 2000. Again I got a good price. Did that again in August of 2002 when I bought the 2003. This time however the 2005 convertible was not available yet in October. I had to wait until March 15th till the car arrived. Each one cost around $1,500 more to buy than the other and the MSRP on the 2005 was up $2,000 I got $4,500 less for the 2003 than I was able to sell the others even though it was only three month into the next calendar year. I had to lay out $9,500 rather than the the five or six thousand I paid for the others

mike hunt

Jeff wrote:

Reply to
DustyRhoades