gas mileage of 4cyl vs V6

Coming from a Honda Civic and not making very much money, I've been mainly keeping an eye out for 4 cylinder Toyota trucks, assuming the V6 would gulp way too much gas. Is there much difference between the economy of the 4cyl versus the V6?

Thanks,

Isaac

Reply to
isaac

FYI,

I get approximately 22 mpg with my 1992 V6 2wd pickup - 224,000 miles in Los Angeles.

Reply to
Tony

I should probably figure out the mileage I get from the Civic because right now I don't have much comparison. Thanks for the input, though.

Reply to
isaac

Reply to
Wolfgang

Reply to
SnoMan

05 Taco w/ 12000 miles; 4cyl reg. cab automatic. I live in the rolling hills of N. Georgia and use the vehicle for commuting (not much hauling). Average around 25 - 27 mpg on unleaded plus. Good power and no problems with the truck so far.
Reply to
Donald Grumpsnail

My base model 93 2.4 2wd with 211,000 miles gets 30 on the hwy pulling my teardrop trailer.

I agree with the advice about the automatic. However, except for problems with the auto transmission, my non-modified, 3.0 L, V-6, 1995 SR5 4x4 Pick-Up (not Tacoma) with almost 130,000 miles has been the most reliable and worry-free car I have ever owned. The automatic transmission seems to suck a lot of the engine's power and sometimes I have problems with it switching into overdrive on hot and long freeway trips (over 30 miles in the summertime).

I bought the truck two years ago. Its tires are 32x11.5 BFG's, which I am sure put a lot of wear on the automatic transmission; they are the biggest size tires I have ever seen on these trucks without having suspension modifications. They look good, but do not help with the gas mileage. During my first year of ownership, I closely monitored the gas consumption and averaged 15 to 17 mpg. That was probably 75 to 85% freeway driving. Since then we moved, and I have let my wife drive it (she has a shorter commute), she's not as big of a nerd as I am and does not keep track of the gas mileage these days.

With the price of gas these days, I don't know if I would buy this same truck right now. But if I were to buy a similar toyota truck, I would be sure that it was not automatic transmission and that the tires were not too big. I think if you go with the classic toyota 4 cyl and the manual transmission, you will find that you have plenty of power to do what ever you need to, and that you would get atleast 20 mpg.

Good Luck!

-Dan

Reply to
bigwhitebhudda

My 1986 4x4 Xtra-Cab 4cyl. ran right around 20 mpg. overall. My 1993 4x4 Xtra-Cab 6cyl runs in the 18 - 19 mpg range so far. Both 5 speeds and AZ has 75 mph speed limits.

Reply to
glenf

snipped-for-privacy@netscape.net wrote: snip

Dan, Not trying to sway your decision but, my 2001 Tundra, 3.4L V-6, automatic, full-sized bed with cover, 235-65/16 (OEM tires) and all synthetic lubes, I get 16-17 MPG in town and 21-22 MPG on highway. I always drive on high-way with windows up and A/C on if necessary, and usually 65-75 MPH, depending on posted speed limit. I don't (usually) haul anything heavy or tow and don't off-road so it fits my needs and gets what I consider good gas mileage. Since I have speed in my blood (grin) I will race it if in the right area, road conditions and etc. (never over appx 70 MPH or so) and it is quick for what it is. When I get ready to buy new I plan on test driving the Taco Prerunner w/the

4.0L V-6. I think it will get even better performance and fuel mileage. davidj92
Reply to
davidj92

FWIW:

1987 4X4 regular cab with 22R 4 cyl. carbureted engine and 5 speed manual got 15.5 to 16.5 mpg in town and 17.5 to 19.5 mpg on highway. Best tank recorded was 21.5 mpg on highway. Tires were 235XR15.

1999 4X4 extra cab with 3.4 V6 w/fi and 4 speed automatic w/od. 16 to 17 mpg in town and 19 to 21 mpg on highway. Tires are 31X10.5X15 as came from factory.

Both driven between 2,000 and 4,000 feet AMSL in elevation. Both using mostly 86 octane gasoline as sold on the caprock of Texas. Both with manual locking hubs.

-- Jarhead

Reply to
Jarhead

My 90 short bed P/U with a 22re and 4 sp. man. gets 26 city and 30 hwy. I'm sure it would do a lot better with a 5 sp. man.

Reply to
MrFixit469

... and this is why I just got the V8 Tundra. My '86 Nissan 4x4 got right aroudn 20 mpg but I was running that trucks guts out to keep up with traffic, it seemed like, and when I went to replace it I just didn't see enough difference between a V6 getting MABYE 18mpg and a V8 getting 16 mpg, other than that the V8 will get to loaf more!

-jeff

in article %wkMf.3575$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net, glenf at snipped-for-privacy@jps.net wrote on 2/26/06 8:18 AM:

Reply to
Jeff Olsen

Thanks for all the input. I think that with money being as scarce as it is right now I may as well just stick with the 4 cylinder. All I'm hauling is a couple dirt bikes and I'm in no hurry to do so :)

Also, automatics are boring. 5 speed it is :)

Thanks a lot,

Isaac

Reply to
isaac
1981 22r, 410,00 miles,stock motor, 4 speed, 4.10 gears, 33x9.50x15 (skinny tires), 3" lift, full 2.25" exhaust, no extra weight or camper shell. Combined city and hwy best mileage is 23.2mpg.
Reply to
firepumper1