2010 Ford Edge and Microsoft SINC

We have a 2010 Ford Edge with the Microsoft SINC bluetooth system. It works great for hand off reception (Rx) but people have said the signal (Tx) sounds like we are in a tunnel.

We are using a Black Motorola razor with ATT at the provider. I do not know if the problem is the Motorola phone or with the Ford/Microsoft SINC system.

With a blue tooth connection are we using the Mic in the phone of the SINC system?

Reply to
aRKay

Actually, it is a SYNC system.

Reply to
dr_jeff

I hope there is Microsoft SYNC warranty center as Ford Techs would be clueless on how to fix the tunnel sound.

Reply to
aRKay

Nice catch.. that certainly helped clear the air....

For the original poster... there have been some messages regarding SYNC operation. Before you take the car to the dealer... see if you can borrow a different phone to pair to the car to see if there is a difference....

Fords stance is that i9f the feature is working... it is working...

Is your phone on the "supported device" list?

So many questions.... none will be answered with corrected spelling.....

Reply to
Jim Warman

Jim,

Thanks for the tips....yes the Motorola v3 razor is on the list. I will try another phone before taking it to the dealer.

Do you know where the SYNC Mic is located?

Reply to
aRKay

Good News...... I called my dealer who put me in touch with the MS guy that does their service work. There is a firmware update out that fixes the problem I mentioned. I will meet him on Monday at the dealership and he will zap the firmware for me.

Stay tuned for the results

Reply to
aRKay

Something I had forgotten... SYNC has been pretty much trouble free in our area... now - if that is because people aren't using the features or not, I can't say...

However... there is a wealth of knowlewdge at

not to mention the ability to perform some firmware upgrades with only a thumb drive.... Using this feature will also help keep you and your dealer apprised of the current software levels present in your car. With the factory installed SYNC, the microphone will be in the rear view mirror...

Reply to
Jim Warman

Went to Ford on Monday and they screwed it up big time. While downloading the update, the Ford mainframe went down. Then the dealer's LAN crashed and locked up my SYNC.

I have an appointment with another Ford dealer for Tuesday AM to fix what the first Ford dealer screwed up

Stay tuned for results

Reply to
aRKay

How does the dealer's LAN affect the SYNC?

Either the upgrade is downloaded or not.

Jeff

Reply to
dr_jeff

The upgrade for your SYNC system can be downloaded on line.

Reply to
Mike Hunter

I would never try to do the upgrade. Took the vehicle in at 7AM (first appointment) and waited, waited and finally got the car back at about

10 AM. The service writer, who I suspect was lying, said the download messed up the vehicle computer and they had to do a major reset of the primary computer then the download from Ford took much longer than they expected. Excuses, excuses and more BS. When I finally got the car it no longer recognized my cell phone and I had to go back and have the tech sync to my cellphone. What a mess. I think it is now working and I will not go back to Ford unless it has to be towed in.
Reply to
aRKay

This is only partly true...The APIM (accessory protocol interface module) contains two separate subsytems (this is something of an oversimplification.,...). The CIP (consumer interface processor) can be reprogrammed using a thumb drive with information gathered from the SYNC website and the USB port. The VIP (vehicle interface processor) can only be reprogrammed using the IDS scan tool and the DLC. Updating the CIP does not require that the VIP be updated but VIP updates may require a CIP update.

Depending on what had to be done to the OPs system, a trip to the dealer may (or may not) have been... However, since the SYNC microphone is on the VIP side of the system, any rerprogramming that will affect it's operation will require the IDS.

Reply to
Jim Warman

Well, I can appreciate that you might never return to that dealer... you are blaming Ford (and painting many others with a broad bruash) for the work of an inadequate tech.

Reprogramming SYNC with the IDS is pretty straight forward... as long as we observe the caveates regarding USB cord selection and follow the screen prompts carefully. That's not to say that software glitches 'never' happening during reprogramming but my humble experience reveals 'operator error' as the major concern.

Among the most common concerns in this regard... failing to identify the vehicle correctly , allowing the IDS batteries to die or allowing the vehicle batteries to go "flat".

Blaming Ford for the actions of a couple of individuals at a dealership is flawed logic....

Reply to
Jim Warman

I'm can only assume you are correct, but I had no problem doing the upgrade for my 2010 MKZ on line.

Reply to
Mike Hunter

How true! The problem is some dealership do not want to pay the cost of acquiring at least one Tech with an Electrics Degree, who can train others to pass the required Ford online tests. Today that is a given.

Reply to
Mike Hunter

I have no idea what caused the failure at the first dealer. The non-Ford radio tech indicated the Ford main frame went down while he was trying download. Then when the Ford system came alive again the dealer's local area net crapped out the computer he was using on my vehicle lost connection to the Ford system mid way. I got tied of this screwing around and pulled the car and took it to another dealership. The SYNCsystem was hosed and did not work.

The full-time Ford SYNC person at the other dealership had fits getting things reset. After about 3 more hours of waiting it was fixed. The Service Writer, that may or may not be telling the truth, indicated they had to reprogram the main computer because it was locked up. Once it was fixed he claimed the SYNC download took a long time. I don't think the service writer knows what they did. For all I know the car sat for 2 1/2 hours and someone worked on the last 30 minutes.

Hopefully, this is my last encounter with local Ford dealerships and the SYNC system.

Reply to
aRKay

I have had my Contour to four dealers. Two had good service departments. Two I would never go to again. One I think was just incompetent. One was trying to have me pay for services not really needed.

One of the good service departments made a mistake. They replaced a resistor on my fan. Then they said that my switch was bad. After they replaced the switch, my fan still did not work. It was a bad resistor. If they had tested the switch repair, they would have been able to bill me for the second resistor (at least until I reminded them that the resistor was replaced under warranty). The service tech got told off for not testing the repair.

Jeff

Reply to
dr_jeff

Actually, the situation is much more abyssmal than you imagine...

FWIW, it is quite easy to pass any of the Ford on line training courses (you will hear dealer techs refer to these as WBTs,,, Web Based Training courses). Indeed, the tests are "open book" tests and ALL of the questions in the mastery exam are answered in the course...

The problem has several ways to manifest itself...

First is getting techs to invest the time in taking the courses... some shops pay their techs to take these courses (based on passing marks in the training records) - some don't. Either way, it is "free" training and any conscientious tech should be spending the time to improve his skills, talents and knowledge.

Some techs "take" the course by heading straight to the mastery exam and placing all their faith in luck and the multiple guess question. The open book testing kinda backfires as these lazy asses seek out answers to specific questions (maybe) without ever really learning anything.

I'm not sure what you mean by "electrics degree".... the very first specialty that Ford expects techs to master is electrical (specialty 34). Without this, no other specialties can be earned. Sadly, electrical is one of the hardest things to master (be it by a tech or a DIYer) and many of those that have earned certification in the electrical specialty can have trouble dealing with electrical and/or programming concerns.

In my role as shop foreman, it is not within my pervue to train these people per se. When it comes to the less experienced techs - I guide them.... I assist them... I help hone their skills... I try to keep them out of "trouble"... There is a certain amount of OTJ training happening, I suppose.... But training is already there to be had on line.... all they have to do is "do it". You can lead a horse to water - but you can't make him drink... You can lead a tech to the computer terminal - but you can't make him read.

FWIW, our store has three certified Ford Master technicians... all of us diesel certified.

Another thing you might find surprising is Fords steady push to technician competency. In the past, for a shop to be considered "competent" in a particular specialty (there are currently 8 specialties), only one tech in the shop had to be certified in that specialty. That changed with the introduction of the 6.0 litre PSD. Not long after this engine hit the showroom floor, Ford decreed that many labour operations on these engines HAD to be performed by a tech certified in diesel engine repair - non-compliance results in a denied warranty claim.

Currently, Ford is telling us that by October 2010, advanced brake repairs will require technician competency and by April 2011, HVAC systems (climate control) will also be a technician competency specialty.

Again, being certified in any specialty isn't a guarranty that the holder has any more than a basic knowledge of the systems involved... nor is it any assurance that the holder UNDERSTANDS the system involved.

I imagine that there are plenty of dealer shops out there that are little better than sweatshops.... but I don't understand why any tech wouldn't take advantage of the training that Ford offers online to better him/herself.

Additionally, the factory workshop manuals feature details sections on the description and operation of all of these systems and features.... a few minutes spent with one of these sections before venturing into a repair or reprogramming operation can keep a tech out of a lot of trouble... You can lead a tech to the manual... but you can't..........

Reply to
Jim Warman