4.6L accelleration ping

I know ping & knock on accelleration is usually an indication the MAF needs to be cleaned. My question is more about conditions at WOT. I thought most EEC controls went to default at WOT but I am unsire about this problem. Any pointers, advise, or suggestions? By the way, highway mileage is around 25 MPG.

Thanks!

PoD

Reply to
Paul of Dayton

Jim Warman

Damn "hiccups" again.... WOT should deliver an "open loop - drive" indicator...

Since there is no intake manifold vacuum to speak of at WOT, there woint be any EGR activity...

Now... during open loop operation, the PCM still needs to know how much air is going in to the motor... and it uses the MAF for this (since there are no speed/density calculations).

Open loop simply refers to the PCM using look up tables for fuel management rather than using feedback from the O2 sensors.

Reply to
Jim Warman

Thanks Jim! I am not too anxious to fix this since the road mileage is so good - but I kinda think there might be some power loss at those few times I really need it. Now that you've explained it, it makes perfect sense. I appreciate your jelp.

Paul- PoD

Reply to
Paul of Dayton