Is 2.4 I4 really enough for a Wrangler?

Hi folks,

I live in Chile and the only engine option for a Wrangler is a 2.4L gasoline I4. It seems to me that this engine is not really suited for this truck.

It seems to me that the 2.8 I4 diesel in the Liberty (Cherokee down here) would be a much better choice, but alas, it's not available.

What do you think?

-Indirecto

Reply to
Indirecto

L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

In rural WV, with lots of steep hills, but altitudes less that 4000 feet usually, I have no trouble. I have found in my short 2 months of Wrangler ownership that the occassional downshift to 5th, and maybe even 4th sometimes covers the bases. Off road has been fine too. Been places where only ATV have been for years, with follow conversations being "you took your jeep THERE....." With gas mileage ranging from a low of 20 to a high of 27, with the usual being 24, I have to give praises to the 2.4 / 6-speed combo.

This reminds me of a friend of mine who kept ripping transmissions out of his truck (He went through 1 a year usually). After telling him for years that his particular trans was not only NOT rated for towing, the vehicle owners manual specifically said DO NOT TOW with this transmission. (My dad had the same truck/motor/trans). He finally bought a truck suitable for the task of towing his camper, and lived happily ever after. The moral of the story I guess it pick the right tool for the right job.

4 cyl. Wranglers are fine for a lot of folks, but I can see where they might not be the right tool for the job for everyone.

Just my 2 cents, which is probably more than it is worth. :-)

Bryan

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@cox.net:

Reply to
bryan

Yes.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Reply to
mic canic

You have a 2.8 diesel WRANGLER in your lot ?

Dave Milne

If you plan on doing *any* freeway or highway driving, avoid the

4-cylinder. I have a 4-cylinder 2000 Wrangler that (1) will just plain not reach 70 mph under any circumstances and (2) gets no more than 17 mpg under the best of conditions. The little 4-cylinder is just not enough engine for this vehicle and you'll end up running the poor thing at max power most of the time (which is not a good thing to do to any engine). It is, however, a great around-town run-about, seems pretty happy at 34-45 mph (still returning only 14-17 mpg, though), and has sufficient power for most "light duty" offroad chores.

Yes, a diesel Wrangler would be a much better choice than the 4-cylinder gas engine. Too bad Jeep won't sell us one here in the States.

El Alumbrado "Civis Texanus Sum"

Reply to
ElAlumbrado

Bryan, you are the only person I have ever heard of that claims more than 18-19 mpg out of a 4-cylinder Wrangler. I expect 14-15 mpg out of mine (a 2000/5-speed), and sometimes see as much as 17. A neighbor has a

2005 4-cylinder/6-speed Wrangler and does a little better, but still does not see as much as 20 mpg.

What are you doing differently than the rest of us?

El Alumbrado "Civis Texanus Sum"

Reply to
ElAlumbrado

What is available... the diesel?

Reply to
Indirecto

I don't believe they make a diesel Wrangler anywhere.

Dave Milne

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

I'm really wondering what folks are doing wrong with their 2.5L TJs... I'm getting 18mpg combined city/highway and I've got the 2.5L, 5spd, 4" lift,

33x12.5 MTs, etc. Could it be my the modified intake/exhaust (4.0L throttle body, airaid intake, dynomax cat-back)?? I'm guessing that's the difference. Imagine what my MPG would be without the lift/tires!

Yes, my speedo has been recalibrated and verified using GPS.

Eric

Reply to
Eric

Sorry, Yes is the answer posed to the question in the Subject Line, it is not an affirmation of the suggestion that the motor is not well suited for this truck.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

I guess it depends upon who you talk to. A neighbor had a 92 or something like that with a 2.5 and a 5 speed, and said it was extremely easy on fuel.

I tend to attribute it to driving conditions. Rural roads, little stop and go, and speeds in the 45-55 range where the motors purrs along very nicely.

Bryan

Reply to
Bryan

I do about 10-20 miles a day on the interstate max. Speed limit here is 70. The rest of my usual 100 or miles a day is as I described previously, and that is why I think it is doing so well.

Bryan

Reply to
Bryan

Reply to
mic canic

Send us a photo link when you get it; would be interested to see what it looks like.

Dave Milne

Did you see it yourself?

Where is this "back lot"?

Reply to