57 Fairlane with Ford wire wheels

I just bought a 1957 Fairlane that has Ford wire wheels on it. I'm not sure if they are period original or a reproduction, but I'd guess reproduction because they are so nice. While checking the tire pressures one of the valve stems broke and needs to be replaced. I don't know how to remove the little hubcap cover that covers up the lug nuts. It appears to be just a very thin groove that goes all the way around it. Am I just supposed to try and stick something in there and pry it off? I'm afraid to just try that because I don't want to damage or scuff the wheels at all, they look so nice. Help! Thanks!

Reply to
fairlane

To replace a valve stem requires dismounting the tire, do you have tire mounting and dismounting equipment at home?

The tire store guys will know how to take the cover off.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

I know, I need to take the tire off the car to drive it to the tire store. I can't drive the car down there because the tire won't hold air.

Reply to
fairlane

Wire wheel covers are either held on by a bolt that passes through the center of the cover and is covered by an emblem that you snap off, or the wheel cover itself snaps off. If you can post a picture of it somewhere, then someone might recognize it. Or, take a picture of it, drive to the tire store, show them the picture and someone should know how to remove it.

If it's a bolt covered by an emblem, it might also need a special wrench to get it off.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

If you go to this site and scroll down there is a close up of the wheel of the car.

Mine look exactly like that but with a Ford emblem in the middle where this one is just plain. I can't see how only the emblem would come out. I have tried grabbing the spinners to try and unscrew the cover, and pulled straight out on them too. I can't see anywhere on the tiny lip surrounding the cover where you could pry without scratching or denting the wheel.

Reply to
fairlane

Help! Thanks!

Did you ever think about calling up the previous owner on the telephone and asking him/her?

Reply to
Kruse

Most likely if the covers are repro they use the same system that any modern Taurus or whatever wheel cover uses, and just pry off. The spinner unbolts from the back on these.

Look closely on the lip at the edge of the cover and the rubber tire. Does it overhang the actual steel wheel by 3-5 mm? If so, you put a prybar under the lip and use the tire as fulcrum and just pry off. The wheel itself would just be a common steel wheel.

But, there's no guarentees here. Best is to ask the former owner. Or go to a tire and wheel shop and ask them.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

Most likely if the covers are repro they use the same system that any modern Taurus or whatever wheel cover uses, and just pry off. The spinner unbolts from the back on these.

Look closely on the lip at the edge of the cover and the rubber tire. Does it overhang the actual steel wheel by 3-5 mm? If so, you put a prybar under the lip and use the tire as fulcrum and just pry off. The wheel itself would just be a common steel wheel.

But, there's no guarentees here. Best is to ask the former owner. Or go to a tire and wheel shop and ask them.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

clare at snyder dot ontario dot canada wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

apparently you did not look at the pics. you can see the brake through them, they are the real deal. Also it says they are custom wire wheels not wheel covers. so your advice is not based on anything intelegent. KB

Reply to
Kevin

They look like real wire wheels, and AFAIK the only company left that does them is Dayton Wire Wheels.

They look like the kind where the hubcap pops off or threads off the hub to get to the lug nuts. But I'm not sure if it spins off, or pries off, or... I tried looking through their online catalog and found nothing - Call and ask. Guessing could get REAL expensive.

The 'Direct Bolt' is the kind from old Model A's where you can see the lug nuts in between the spokes, this isn't one of those. And the cap is way too big to be a spline-drive knock-off wheel.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman