Painting wheels

Hello gang. I want to paint my Jeep Wrangler 5 spoke steel wheels. Is it worth it to do so. Any suggestions on doing the job. Thanks.

Greg

Reply to
jerryg

Jerry,

If you really want to do it right get the tires dismounted, remove the valve stems and weights, get the wheels sandblasted, then prime, paint and clear coat them.

Then get the tires remounted and balanced.

Or you could do what I did.

Take the wheels off and give them a good cleaning, I used oven cleaner to get all the grease off, then a good scrubbing with hot soapy water. Once they were throughly dry I put masking tape around the valve stems and rubbed used motor oil into the tire.

I painted the wheels using Rustolium, the color was something like hammered silver... ahh here it is.

Use a thin piece of cardboard held so it wraps around the edge of the wheel as you spray, that will help keep paint from getting on the tires, and any that does get on will have a hard time sticking to the oiled rubber.

My wheels turned out great, only way they could have turned out better would have been to do the whole sandblasting bit.

Two cans should be enough for the whole Jeep.

Hope this helps!

Jeff DeWitt

jerryg wrote:

Reply to
Jeffrey DeWitt

Back in the day... at the less expensive shops, they used to use a cleaner/degreaser on the wheels, scrubbing every nook and cranny with a brush and a scotch brite. Pressure washing is good. Then scuff them with a dry green scotch brite, use a tack cloth to get the dust and specks off. Mask off the tires and valve stems with masking tape and newspaper, remove the weights, mark their location on the tire, then prime and paint. A good paint would be something like Rustoleum. Even Krylon has some nice finishes these days, and an engine enamel would be pretty tough. It would also be less susceptible to fluids and crud.

Kate

Reply to
Kate

Reply to
jerryg

Reply to
jerryg

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Reply to
jerryg

Jerry, that's the right way to do it, when you get done your wheels should look as good as new.

Have fun!

Jeff DeWitt

jerryg wrote:

Reply to