'62 Falcon wagon/ Fuel system problem

I recently acquired a 62 Falcon wagon and have been plagued with a problem no one seems to be able to zero in on.The car bucks and stalls out at random, other times drives beautifully.The fuel pump,carburetor,have been replaced,the lines blown out,the gas tank drained and cleaned.

In the morning,starts up and purrs.When it conks out it seems to happen after it's warm,very hard to start back up, fuel sometimes leaking out of carb.

If anyone can help,I would appreciate it. I love the car.

Thanks, JT in Florida

Reply to
falconsurf

sounds like its flooding out... if you have a carb... try getting a rebuild kit and rebuild it.. or better yet go to a shop that does carb. rebuilts in the shop and take your old carb there and let them rebuild it... back in the 60's i used to bring a carb to a carb shop and the owner would tell me $6.00, then hand me back 2 dollars.......... pretty cheap back then.. a rebuild kit would have cost me more than that.... you do have a single barrel carb. on a 6 cyl. engine????

Reply to
dbird

Single barrel carb. This one is brand new. Should it be broken down and rebuilt already ? Could trash or water in the fuel system ruined the carb so quickly ?

Thanks, JT

Reply to
falconsurf

there is a metal rod that runs down in front of the carb. going into the body(this is going back about 35 yrs or so,) i would have to tap the top of the carb after putting a new one on so the ball bearing would sink into the cavity and the gas will stop flowing out of this passageway... this might be your problem???? light tap so the ball bearing falls or the gas keeps seaping out the opening and around this rod.....

Reply to
dbird

Sounds like pressure building up in the tank and that will force fuel past the seat in the carb. and flood it out. Pressure build up is temp related. '60's cars have vented gas tanks, either a vent in the tank or just a vented gas cap. Check it out, also when it happens loosen the gas cap and listen for the sound of any air coming out, a sure sign of plugged vent.

Reply to
Repairman

That sounds like the accelerator pump checkball. I'm not familiar with ford one barrels, but on the 2 barrels some came with a weight (the rod) that sat on top of the checkball, and some didn't use the weight.

Reply to
max-income

-- If fuel is leaking out of the top of the carb, the needle valve at the inlet is either leaking or being overpowered by pressure in the fuel line. If the leak is at a gasket on the carb body you need to replace the gasket. Like someone else mentioned, be sure the gas cap is vented. One other thing to check is the routing of the fuel line on the motor. If it runs close to the exhaust pipe or manifold the heat may be causing the fuel in the line to percolate and flood the engine when you shut it off and then try a hot restart. Some cars of that era were prone to vapor lock, which is when the fuel vaporizes in the fuel line from heat, and when you try to start it when hot the vapor keeps gas from entering the carb. I recall a 55 Ford we had that had an old license plate arranged as a heat shield to prevent vapor lock.

Every day is a good day- it's just that some are better than others.

Reply to
max-income

Thanks John, I'll check it

Reply to
falconsurf

Thank you very much,I'll look at all those possibilities. I've been thinking heat has some way or another been the culprit. JT

Reply to
falconsurf

I have a similar problem with my '61 wagon.. First I sealed up a leaky fuel bowl in my carb.. then a new fuel pump as the old one (where ever THAT came from) was leaking.. now my tank has sprung a leak.. it is off the car today.. will probably just jb weld it for now.. Thanks for your question.. I will use the info you've gleaned.

Enjoy!

Dave :o)

Reply to
Eat2surf