need new AMM also which fuel system LH2.2 or LH2.4?

Hi there.

I am trying to identify the fuel system that is installed on my car.

I am going to replace the AMM on my car (it has failed to work). The previous owner replaced the original AMM (Air Mass Meter/Air Flow Meter) with one from a salvage yard, I think he put in the wrong one.

My car is a 1988 Volvo 240 wagon.

Are there any identifying marks on the car that would identify whether or not I had LH2.2 or LH2.4 fuel injection?

It seems that each (LH2.2 and 2.4) have their own specific AMM. The AMM I removed from the car has a serial number that ends in 016. 016 seems to belong to 2.4 injection, but that injection system seems to belong to 1989 and newer cars. My detective work tells me my car should have 2.2 fuel injection which uses the 007 AMM (serial number

007) as my car would be part of the 1985 to 1988 production.

I understand that it is very important to install the correct serial number AMM on the car. That said, what would happen if I installed the wrong one? The is out of service now, and up til now the mileage and performance was not as great as it could have been. I have a feeling that I didn't have the part (correct) in the first place. Since I have to special order the new AMM anyway, I want to make sure I am getting what I need. (it's really going to be unfortunate if I order something, wait the two weeks to get it, and it's wrong).

Can someone help me identify my cars fuel system? Tell me what to expect if I install the wrong Air Mass Meter? Share any other interesting stuff I should know. I've been working on old Volvo's for some time now, but this car is my very first (ever) car with fuel injection (I'm a long way from my much missed 1979 with the good old b21a (just gave the car away last year, should've never done that!)).

Thanks, I really appreciate the help.

Chris Mears Charlottetown, PEI

1988 Volvo 245 "Daisy"
Reply to
chris mears

I don't know specific identification markings or anything like that, but my '88 (US spec, not Canadian) 244DL has LH Jetronic 2.2 in it. I can check the AMM part # if you want.

Reply to
volvo240drew

Yeah, turns out my AMM part # ends in 007. So it looks like someone did install the wrong AMM type for your car, as I have no problems with mine.

hth drew

Reply to
volvo240drew

The 2.2 meter (007) has a bung with an aluminum press fit removeable plug (drill two 1/8" holes and pull out with needle nose pliers)over the idle mixture adjusting screw. On the 2.4 meter (016) there is no provision for mixture adjustment.

The 2.2 system may have a thumb wheel idle trim screw on the throttle housing. The 2.4 system does not.

Check both the Volvo and Bosch part number on the fuel control unit behind the right side outer kick panel and report back or call a dealer to determine the application of the unit. Also post the VIN number to determine the true year model of the car. The last letter in the VIN should be K89 L90.

Bob

Reply to
User

So it's really starting to sound like the previous owner installed the wrong AMM. Cool as I think I may have found a decent used one in the salvage yard (I am assuming that both AMM's (007 and 016) fit in the same diameter intake hose(?)

I have the thumb screw adjuster on the throttle body housing. By the way, turning this screw really doesn't seem to have any impact on the car's idle. Should it?

Most suppliers I talk to only show the 007 part as installed in my car, what are the chances that the 016 was installed originally at the factory.

Chris

Reply to
chris mears

Yup.

If the throttle switch and throttle plate are set correctly it should have some impact, yes.

Pretty slim.

Bob

Reply to
User

So armed with this new knowledge, I am going to go ahead and order a

007 AMM from my suppliers and hope for the best. I need the car back in service, so I will be ordering overnight fast.

What would happen to the car if I installed the wrong AMM anyway? I'm thinking the effect would be very similar to that of running with a dead AMM. Could it damage the ECU?

Thanks Chris

Reply to
chris mears

Chris:

Call the parts Dept at your local Volvo dealer, give them the vin # of your car and ask them which Bosch number is correct.

Even on the 1993 240 DL there were two different AMM's used. One is the 007 and the other is the 016.

Keep in mind if you order onle online or locally electrical parts or often either not returnable or if they can be returned will have a hefty "restocking fee."

Good Luck

Doc

Reply to
doc

"chris mears" skrev i en meddelelse news: snipped-for-privacy@e56g2000cwe.googlegroups.com...

I think you should remove the trim panel in the right side footwell, and check the number on the fuel injection ECU. If you post the bosch number like 0 280 000 561 in the newsgroup, you could get teh answer you are looking for.

Regards

Per Hauge

Reply to
Per Hauge-Nielsen

I think you're lucky you need the 007. I was pricing AMMs on eBay last week and noticed that the 007 seems to be readily available and cheap. The 016 was much more money and they didn't seem to be offered up for sale nearly as often.

Reply to
ma