79 F150 Cant get gas into tank

I have a 79 Ford F130 pickup. For some reason I have a bitch of a time getting gas into the gas tank. It seems to always lock up in the filler hole and wont go down. I have to pump it in real slow and only if the truck is parked downhill will it go in. The hose from the filler to the tank does gu uphill over the frame, and is a bit flattened, but not pinched off. For some reason it seems that the air cant escape. This is a major pain in the butt. Does anyone have any suggestions how to fix this, and is there some way to temporarily make it easier to get gas in there, because the weather is too cold to repair it now. I was wondering what would happen if I put a small

1/4" hose into the filler to let the air escape????

For the moment I can only fill it using a gas can, and even then the truck must be pointed downhill.

Need advice !!!!

Thanks

Reply to
Gerry Atrick

Yeah your fuel tank vent line is plugged. Usually its by cobwebs or mice nesting in the charcoal canister, and it causes back pressure in the tank. I have seen this on a lot of vehicles..

I would take your vent hose off of your charcoal canister and the tank and put some pressurized air through it. If the air wont go, replace the rubber hose, and make sure you spec it out for use in the fuel system or the vapors will eat right through that sucker in no time..

The new fuel delivery systems at gas stations are set up to kick off at a certain amount of back pressure. So when the tank is full, it will create back pressure in the fill tube, and the pump shuts off. Just double check that line going to the charcoal canister and I bet you will find your problem there.

Ford Tech

Reply to
Ford Tech

Thank You