89 Mustang TFI Module ?

Hi - I am having problems with my 89 5.0 stalling in very hot tempuratures - from looking at some of the postings to this group I am seeing mention of the common problem being the TFI module on the distributor.

The basic symptom is that when the temperature hits the high 80s - 90s the car stalls after reaching normal operating temps- The stalling happens most typically when I come to a stop at an intersection - the car typically will restart after 5- 10 minutes - the cooling fan is working fine - fuel pump is good - on a couple of fuel injectors there is a small amount of gas leakage around the outside which I understand just needs some new O rings ( I don't think that by itself should cause stalling)

Are these very hard or costly to replace? - Also I saw another posting mentioning some class action on this issue because it was common to a lot of cars - is there a recall or anything like that in place?

Thanks for any help

Reply to
donsjunkk

Easy to do, about $50 for the Motorcraft part. It requires a Torx wrench for the screws. Be certain to use the provided heat sink grease or it will be failing again (soon). The recall covered only the first 100K miles; after all, they can't warrantee a part forever.

Reply to
Sharon Cooke