88 crown vic tfi module

the module failed and I replaced it with one from advance...I did a google and found these usually fail from heat and that there was a class action against ford because of stalling causing deaths and injuries....I am thinking of wrapping it with some kind of insulation like wrapping a water heater....is this ok?

Reply to
Peter Gennuso

No, just apply dielectric grease to the module, where it makes contact with the distributor. That should insulate the module properly.

I have one of those "faulty" modules in my 1990 Escort GT, 163k miles and hasn't failed yet (knock on wood).

Reply to
sleepdog

Oh no, quite the contrary! The module generates heat and you want to help the heat get out, not trap it inside. If yours is the kind that bolts unto the distributor (these are the subject to the class action suit), make sure to spread heat compound (not dielectric grease like another poster said) evenly on the mounting plate. A small tube should have come with the new unit, but if not, buy some.

Reply to
Happy Traveler

No. That would greatly increase the operating temperature of the module. The module generates heat and needs to be able to cool itself through conduction to the distributor housing or to a heat sink on later remote mount models, One of the reasons these units failed was that the grease originally used between the module and the distributor dried out over time reducing it's ability to conduct the heat away from the module. Although many technicians use dielectric grease, that is not what is needed and will not perform nearly as well as needed. You need a thermal grease or, as some call it, a thermal paste or heat sink grease. It is used commonly in electronic applications like mounting the CPU in your computer to maximize heat transfer to the heat sink for cooling. It is available at Radio Shack, CompUSA, Best Buy, Circuit City or any other electronic store. For some reason, automotive parts folks rarely know WTH your are talking about. That being said, it "may" be of some benefit to remove the module at some period and replace the grease to ensure that optimum cooling performance is maintained.

Good luck, Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut