92 Sable battery dead after removing and reinstalling transmission

I had the gaskets on my transmission replaced by this idiot mechanic who did it at a discount price. Well, the transmission is still leaking, but the real problem now is that the battery is dead. I dont know if this caused it or me jiggling one of the spark plug wires around did it (because the engine started running rough as hell on the trip back from the mechanic). So any ideas on why the battery would die now? I went to start the car and the electricity fired for about a second them died. The RPM needle stayed up though and pressing the brakes it went back down, then i took the keys out and then tried again, and nothing happens.

Reply to
fredrickson

Batteries die for a lot of reasons. Measure the voltage at the battery terminals. 0 volts mean the battery has a open cell and is junk. 10.55 means one cell is shorted, again junk. Both conditions happen with out warning and are common. What are the condition of the battery cables? Being a 92, they are suspect. Was it caused by you jiggling the plug wires? No.

Reply to
Thomas Moats

I just measured it, its 12.55 volts across the terminals, but the car doesnt seem to be getting any power. One ceiling light turns on (barely) when i open the door, but nothing else works. No starter, no power locks, nothing. Also the Brake pedal isnt releasing itself. What gives?

Reply to
fredrickson

You've got poor battery connections, and maybe a marginal battery. Did the mechanic swap your good battery?

Bill

Reply to
berkshire bill

I FIXED IT!

There was all kinda of buildup crap in the terminals. I sanded them down and wiped off the crap and reattached and whammo it works. Thanks for the tips.

Reply to
fredrickson

=========== What gives? A dead or very low battery, or dirty/bad cables. Did you try to jump start it or charge the battery?

Reply to