92 Town Car Air Bag question

My 92 town car is flashing a 9 on the air bag light (This is a single digit error system). This is suppose to indicate the crash sensors are disconnected. I have metered out the three crash sensors from the diagnostic module plugs, and they are all the same (good). I have replaced the diagnostic with two others (salvage yard) and they report the same. I would appreciate any help what other problem may cause this error. thanks ed

Reply to
Ed Stump

It means the primary crash sensor is open or high resistance. Not all the sensors just the primary. The problem trying to meter the sensors at the module plug ( I'll assume you are trying to measure ohms ) is that when you disconnect the plug from the module a bridge closes across the terminals in the harness plug. Because of this all your meter readings will be the same and lead you to a false conclusion. Here is another problem the 92 town car went to a two digit code. So it is important to know the if the car was built after 11/5/91 or before. You could have very easily misinterpreted the flash code as a 09 when in fact it should be 45 which is primary crash sensor #2 not properly mounted.

Reply to
Thomas Moats

Been there and done that with a taurus. You need to take off each sensor, and clean the area under it with a light sand paper or such to get the rust off the mount. Then bolt it back down solid. You should have a left , right and center. The center one could be on top of the radiator or the fire wall. Look for blue arrows pointing forward on the crash sensors. The center is is probably the one with the extra set of terminals that has the safing sensor and checks for the bad ground. If that does not do it, change the air bag diagnostic module. (Blue module probably behind the glove box, check your manual).

Unhook the battery for a hour before doing any air bag work to be safe. In my case, i cleaned and swapped all the sensors and it did not change the symptom. After i changed the diagnostic module, the blinky code went away. It helps to have a donor car to pilfer parts from.

Bob

Reply to
BOB URZ