'93 Aerostar questions

Hi everyone,

A couple of questions concerning our mini-van:

-Any suggestions on diagnosing a problem with the fuel gauge? Specifically, it almost always show empty (yes, even after a fill-up), with the exception of after driving for perhaps an hour or so it will start to climb to what I "think" the actual level is, then kind of bounce around before plummeting back to empty again. I had a mechanic briefly take a look at it and he disconnected the cabling underneath the chassis while the ignition was on, but there was no change in the gauge needle. As it is, I have to keep track of fuel consumption by using my trip odometer.

-When I purchased the van, the horn, air-bag, and cruise control all didn't work (air-bag warning light flashing). I've since pulled the steering wheel and changed the clockspring inside and got my horn and air bag working again, but still no cruise. Any other suggestions? All brake pads and shoes are freshly replaced, no burnt out tail-lights, etc. But...the ABS light is and always has been on. The same mechanic said the sensor was faulty. Would this contribute?

-We regularly take a 2.5 hour trip south to visit my in-laws. After driving for aprox. 115 to 125 miles the "check engine" light comes on. Without fail. Both directions. I at first thought it was overheating, but after checking the temp gauge in-dash, checking the fluid levels, and changing the thermostat, it continues. This only happens while highway driving at about

65 - 70 mph. Stopping for 10 or 15 minutes "sometimes" makes the light go out, but not always.

Hope someone can help. Thanks, Michael

____________________________________ SMITH & WESSON: The original point-n-click interface ____________________________________

Reply to
MacFarlane

Too many issues for one thread.

Probably the in-tank sender ... why didnt the tech GROUND the wire and see if it went to full?

The check engine light MAY be the EGR system... have the stored codes read out.

Search this group on google for ways to do that, free.. hint autozone or other parts house.

search for abs problems as well

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Corrosion of the wires at the tank sender is common - so (relatively) is a bad sender.

With the ABS light on, the cruise very likely will not function. Fix the ABS first (it is a simple single channel unit - rear wheels only - and senses the driveshaft speed, not individual wheel speed. It is basically just a rear wheel lockup eliminator, not much different in result from a load sensing proportioning valve, although a bit more complex

Get the codes read, but a weak O2 sensor HAS caused that problem.

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

Thank you. It looks like I have some trouble-shooting to do. Michael

Reply to
MacFarlane

Grounding the fuel sender wire should make the gauge read empty... not full. An open circuit will send the gauge past the full mark. Bob

Reply to
Bob