Ford Escort Steering Wheel

I have a 1994 Ford Escort and i need to change the steering wheel but i have airbags. does anyone know a way to remove the steering wheel with out the airbag going off and smacking me in the face? Please help.

Reply to
Freesubway

airbags. does anyone know a way to remove the steering wheel with out the airbag going off and smacking me in the face? Please help.

Disconnect the battery first, then wait maybe 10 minutes for the SRS capacitor to discharge. No electric, no airbag discharge.

Reply to
Sharon K.Cooke

Pull the fuse for the horn in the inside fusebox and the airbag fuse in the under the hood fusebox.

I have a 1995 Escort and I've done this lots of times.

Reply to
scott21230

airbags. does anyone know a way to remove the steering wheel with out the airbag going off and smacking me in the face? Please help.

It is actually very difficult to accidentally deploy an air bag unless you're randomly probing wires with a multimeter or test light. Disconnect the battery negative terminal. It's good practice to let the vehicle sit for about 1/2 hour for the SRS backup supply to discharge. Remove the bolts holding the air bag to the wheel. Disconnect the electrical connector for the air bag and remove it from the car. Lay the air bag face up in a safe place. If you are repairing something electrical, like checking the horn and cruise control after you replace the wheel, it is ok to reconnect the battery with the air bag removed. The SRS lamp will flash indicating a problem (obviously). Just disconnect the battery for 1/2 hour prior to reinstalling the air bag.

Reply to
Tom Adkins

Just disconnect the battery for a bunch of minutes and be careful. Don't rush, it's easy -- you will say that when you finish. Hank

airbags. does anyone know a way to remove the steering wheel with out the airbag going off and smacking me in the face? Please help.

Reply to
Hank