93 Escort LX wagon timing belt

I would guess around $200. Call a dealer and find out. Then call some local shops.

jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Brian Merkle wrote: If it breaks, will the engine be destroyed?

The very earliest Escort engines were interference. You should have a non-interference engine.

Reply to
Kruse

Interference or not... If the timing belt breaks... where will it happen? Will the world be treated to newscamera pictures of your car snarling traffic - making hundreds of thousands of commuters late for work or late for supper? Will it break in an area where your cell phone has NO bars in more places? Will it break in an area where the tow truck bill might have you take out a second mortgage?

It's an interesting question... especially the way it is asked. No thoughts of being late for something important... frustration, unecessary expense, inconvenience. Just a simple "if the belt breaks, will it destroy the motor in my 15 year old car?"....

One needs to consider all the aspects.... will it break on the way to that important job interview? Or on the way to the hospital with ones pregnant wife? If we miss our court date, will a "bench warrant" be issued?

Reply to
Jim Warman

Although technically a non-interference engine, valves HAVE been bent on these engines with a failed belt. Was bad enough on my neices '94 that the engine had to be changed. (piston damage as well as head damage)

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

My maintenance was always guided by "what if it happend when my wife and kids are 40 miles from nowhere?"

I still look at tires and think of the PITA of changing one near Vegas in August and go buy four new ones.

Reply to
Scott

I have 114,000 miles on this vehicle and have never had the timing belt changed. If it breaks, will the engine be destroyed? What would it cost to have a new one put on at a Ford dealership? I think a new belt would probably run about $40, but the labor cost might be astronomical?

Reply to
Brian Merkle

Jeff, thanks.

Reply to
Brian Merkle

Thank you for the info.

Reply to
Brian Merkle

Jim, found your response quite humorous and thought provoking. Made me think of myself on the six o' clock news blocking traffic while road ragers were cursing at me. I'll use my tax refund to pay for a belt replacement.

Reply to
Brian Merkle

Depends if the engine is a non-interference type. If not, then piston / valve damage may result. My best qeuss is somewhere around $250-300 depending on how much "stuff" has to come off just to get to the belt.

Reply to
Shawn

Yeah, it's non interference at idle, however, you knacker a belt at freeway speed, the head, at minimum, will need replacing...

DTDTGTSTS SteveL

Reply to
pakeha

I had it done recently on my 1995LX, and for a water pump and timing belt, and timing belt tensioner (which was part of the water pump) it was $420, using parts that I specificed. I probably could have saved $20 if I had OK'ed a no-name timing belt.

Reply to
scott21230

Why pay a lot for labor & install a possible inferior generic belt when a more expensive (& more reliable) Motocraft timing belt will do just fine.

Reply to
Shawn

Very well put, Jim. On my first day of my official work life in summer

1989, mine break in my 82 Mercury Lynx at 63K miles on my VERY FIRST day on the job...luckily I had an understanding supervisor and I actually still work at the same company albeit with a college degree and a good job in Corporate, but still the timing belt NEVER breaks in a convenient spot...I would rather worry about where it might break rather than whether it will kill my engine...I would replace it real soon, you are definitely on borrowed time...

Eric

Reply to
Eric L. Hulliberger