93 traurus, a/c system

i got a 93 taurus, 3.0 automatic(regular taurus, not a show) its got R-12 and i have some to refill it...i need a new compressor and will change out the accumulator.... when doing this can i use the new O-rings for the R-134-R freon... having trouble getting the original O-rings... any help will be appreciated....

Reply to
dbird

Are you absolutely sure it uses R-12? You might want to look again. I've bought and sold many Taurus cars (that were 90's and up)- and never seen one use R-12. The new O-rings (R-134a) should work fine, in my experience anyway. Why not just switch it over to R-134a? All you have to buy is the switch over adaptors at your local part store. Whenever you make up your mine, make sure you add the correct type of compressor oil.

Reply to
Sonny H

Yes, a 93 uses R12. Mine does. What happened to the air to cause it to fail? As far as the o rings go, just take the old ones off down to the auto parts store and have them matched up. Should not be a problem. I think the Green ones are compatible with R12 and mineral oil. Those compression fittings can be a pain in the ass to get apart if there original and never been taken apart. I assume you bought the special tool to pop the springs in the fittings?

Mine is still on r12. But if it died, i think i would convert it to 134. To do it right, you would need to change the compressor as well as the accumulator with the drier in it. I helped a guy on a mid 80's town car do a cheap R134 conversion with just the orings replaced. SO far so good. But that's not the kosher way to do it. ANd you need a vacuum pump and a gauge set.

Bob

Reply to
BOB URZ

Use the new o-rings. Do yourself a favor and put 134A in it now. There are "conversion kits" readily available now and are very resonable.

Reply to
Scott M

i know its R-12(and yes the 93 does have R-134 also... but not mine). guess it was built before ford changed over the R-134....

Reply to
dbird

Reply to
dbird

Scott M opined in news:woeJc.30028$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.socal.rr.com:

I agree.... saves hassle later on, the conversion works well, though you might want to get the r-134 orifice while you are at it.

And you can sell the R12 to a mechanic or refrig tech and recover all your money spent.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

the orifice is in the hose, comes with the accumualtor on this car.. they do sell a kit with a lengh of tubing with the orifice in it and you cut your tubing line and attach it there... dont know if they have a seperate one for the R134-r freon???? how about flushing the system??? i got to replace the compressor and the accumulator with the hose on it.. so how do i flush this out??? with the system off or with the old one on or the new one on????? and what do i use to flush it with???? i got the R-12 gauages, vacuum pump and the plastic clip around tubing to take off the parts(hoses, etc.) got an orifice removal tool...well it worked in the 70-80's and did i good job....got the shop manual from Helm... and it looks like the orifice is fixed in the tubing.. and when you need a new orifice you have to cut the metal tubing out and put in a new section as a kit with the orifice in it..... thanks for a reply...

Reply to
dbird

I way i understand the law, a shop can recycle it and put it back into your car. But it cannot resell it. (other than send it to a EPA approved recycler).

Bob

Reply to
BOB URZ

BOB URZ opined in news: snipped-for-privacy@inetnebr.com:

I was speaking of the "some" refill he has... and the Law is one thing, practicality another.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

If you want to replace the expansion valve, on some fords you buy a new hose. Others it is in the line and replacable. If it is in metal tubing it might be replaceable. It will be near a fitting and you just pull it out. You never have to cut it apart. If need be you buy a new high pressure line. You can buy flush. try to flush the condensor and evaperator the best you can.

Reply to
Scott M

On a 93, its a fixed orifice tube. Its in the liquid line near the condenser. They list a orifice tube replacement kit in the service manual. (e5vY-190695)

Bob

Reply to
Bob Urz