94 4.6L SOHC T-Bird

Group, We have a '94 T-Bird with the FI SOHC 4.6L V-8 with an automatic transmission. Oft time there will be a groaning or moaning type noise that seems to come from the right front engine compartment whether driving or at idle at a stoplight or intersection. Could the MAP sensor behind the airbox be the source?

It also runs rough both at idle and on the road. On the road it hesitates and misses and will not accelerate as it should. When the car runs good it will press us back into the seats as it accelerates. I tried changing the fuel filter but cannot disconnect the outflow line. Is there an internal snap ring?

We need for it to last about another year so any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Norm Parsley

Reply to
Norm & Debbie

On my 97 that would likely be the MAF sensor near the air cleaner. It measures the air flow and tells the computer how much fuel it needs. It just needs to be cleaned. It's a delicate job but easy. You can do a search or e-mail me and I'll send you the directions.

Frank

Reply to
F.H.

Whoops! Reply to this one.

Reply to
F.H.

The moaning you hear is the IAC (idle air control). the noise deminishes as soon as you turn off the A/C or accelerate. It is a common problem. I have replaced mine twice with no improvement other than idle quality. If you look around, a Ford dealer may still have the TSB on this problem and a remedy.

Reply to
lugnut