'87 T-Bird misfiring...

Hi all,

I posted a similar message about a week ago, but wigh AO-Hell, you never know when it will pop up (if ever!)

Anyway, I have an 87 T-Bird, 186,xxx miles, V-6, auto. About 2-3 months ago, it developed a slight misfire when driving between 35-50mph (in town traffic). If it does it at highway speed, it is not as noticeable as at lower speeds.

I have had "Baby" for just over six years now and she has been a very good care for me.

In the last couple of years, I have had to replace the distributor - It is now on the third one. A friend looked at it and we don't know if it is an electrical problem or a fuel problem.

Any ideas? Hints? Suggestions?

I've asked for help in here before and have gotten good advice (except for someone telling me to get something different than a Ford).

I sure would appreciate any advice you guys and girls may have for me!

Thanks in advance!

~ ~ ~ Gerri ~ ~ ~ Whose red T-Bird named Baby runs like this: mmmmmm--mmmmmm-mmmmmm--mmmmmmmm-mmmmm-mmmmmmmm

Reply to
GerDani8

GerDani8 opined in news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m14.aol.com:

Not that you'll see this as AOL is dropping Newsgroup access..probably today

Is this "under acceleration" or while maintaining speed? Makes a big difference.

If it's the latter take those #@$%#$%# Bosch Platinums or Splitfires out and put in the proper Motorcraft or Autolites

Does it idle smooth, start easily?

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Oops!

When I re-read this, I saw I forgot to list a couple of things.

The car idles smooth and there is no misfire under acceleration.

Maybe this will help!

Thanks Guys!

~ ~ ~ Gerri ~ ~ ~

Reply to
GerDani8

I had an 85 3.8 The usual source of misfires was the need to replace the distributor rotor and perhaps the cap.

It could be a plugged fuel line filter

It could also be other stuff

plug wires ok ?

plugs good ?