Squealing Noise Near Alternator in 95 Escort

I have a 95 escort that started sqeaking (maybe more of a squealing). Anyway, it seems to be coming from the alternator but I'm not sure if it's the belt or the alternator itself. I've read a few posts online and it seems like it could be either.

Is there a way to tell or test where the problem lies? I'd rather not pay to get a new alternator if it's only the belt that needs replacing or tightening.

Thanks,

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Cooper

I'd say just buy a new belt and see if the problem goes away. The belt is chape, and a piece of cak to replace. (at least, on my '91 that had no A/C or power steering or anything replacing the belt took less than 5 minutes) About 4 years ago a rebuilt alternator for that '91 cost $100 (FYI).

-D

Reply to
Derrick 'dman' Hudson