94 escort, replacing airbag

the airbag deployed on my 94 escort. the cars is stuck in park. will replacing the steering wheel solve this problem or what do i have to do?

Reply to
klarj

its held on by 2 x 5.5mm bolts from behind make sure ign is off for 10 mins before disconnecting. when the new air bag is fitted you might still get the air bag light on it may need a module...

Reply to
ford_technical_

It WILL need a new module... a module that has seen a deployment event is likely untrustworthy and, indeed, may not be able to function at all. At the same time, the seatbelt pretensioners will have to be replaced since these will also have activated.

FWIW, these devices are pyrotechnic devices (and the pretensioners are explosive squibs).... if one isn't familiar with supplemental restraint systems as well as basic auto repair theory, it is entirely possible to make ones day go really, really bad (if we survived any unexpected occurances, that is).

Reply to
Jim Warman