94 Explorer no panel and tail lights

The instrument panel lights where out so I checked the fuse and it was OK. Then I put in another fuse for the hell of it and it worked for a day then no panel lights and the new fuse is still good. Then my neighbor informs me I have no tail lights. So I have not panel and no tail lights. How do I fix this problem?

Scott

Reply to
Scottrow

Did you try wiggling the fuse while watching the instrument cluster? Maybe the fuse contacts are intermittent. Or possibly the wiring behind the fuse panel is broken.

Reply to
larwe

Yes I did that but not help. I don't think the tail lights are on the same fuse anyway.

Reply to
Scottrow

Get a wiring diagram. I don't know how people expect to solve problems of this nature without one...unless you've seen such a problem before and solved it... Maybe that's what you're hoping for here! Someone who's seen your same problem. Sounds like you have an intermittent open circuit (flimsy connection or broken wire) somewhere. Maybe it's corrosion. Has wiring gotten wet?...exposed to salt or chemicals?

Reply to
Jerry

There could be a master fuse ahead of two or more regular (branch) fuses. If that feeder circuit gets troublesome, then you'll have two or more flaky branch circuits. A good electrical schematic will reveal such master fuses.

Reply to
Jerry

Exactly what tail lights are out, the brake/turn/stop lamps, the tail lamps that turn on in conjunction with the headlights, the backup lights? Or just everything?

I don't know anything about this model Ford, fusible link perhaps? For

25 bucks I got an alldatadiy account for my car, best $25 I ever spent. Should have all the actual electrical schematics for your vehicle, better than the ones you find in Haynes or Chiltons.

Matt

Reply to
sleepdog

The dash and rear lights are on the same fused circuit, to make one aware that the rear lights are not working. Check the fuse box under the hood.

mike hunt

snipped-for-privacy@>

Reply to
MikeHunt2