94 taurus wagon - transmission problems

I am experiencing harsh downshifts at highway speeds at random intervals, gas mileage has dropped drastically. This car has 250,000 mi and has never given any trouble at all, engine is 3.0. Dealer diagnosed as needing a new transmission at a cost of $1800l.

Could this be the same problem as reported in the cougar post? Any suggestions?

Reply to
cnice

Does the cruise control drop out too? If so, change the VSS. Its a hell of a lot cheaper than a trannie rebuild. My 93 was doing that and the VSS fixed it. If you change it yourself the part is only 30/40 dollars. Your 94 is computer shifted. If the computer gets faulty speed information shifting can be erratic.

$18,001 is sure a lot for a trannie rebuild...... ;) Must have di-lithium crystals in it.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Urz

Check the TPS too... similar symptoms...

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

cnice opined in news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com:

Bob and Rob seem to be smarter than your dealer's service dept.

I'd find another place to take my car... if the simple things fix it, after it's running correctly, go in and talk to the service mgr about his business ethics.

But dont take a "gift" certificate, you may end up with another expensive problem.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic