'94 TBird: clean engine compartment?

Re: '94 TBird: clean engine compartment?

I belong to '94 Tbird LX V8, 61K mi.

The engine compartment has never been cleaned. There is

61k mi. worth of dust, grime, etc.

I'd love to just be able to take it down the the quarter- wash ($1.50-wash ?) and hose down the engine compartment, but I suspect I'd get my po' self in a buncha trouble. For instance, unless I miss my guess, the spark plug cylinders would collect water and short-out and/or rust to hell-and- gone.

Is there any way to water-proof the engine compartment and the 4.6L so it can be cleaned in such fashion? I can't afford a pro steam-clean and I don't necessarily trust 'em anyway.

Or should I just wink at the dust, grime, etc.?

Salut, Puddin'

Reply to
Puddin' Man

Whattahell! You only live once!

If you're concerned about that get a couple cans of "air" with the little plastic extenders and blow out the water. Better yet, buy or borrow a portable air tank with blowout nozzle, cheap at harbor freight and the ilk.

Use your head and dont "BLAST" anything... just use a good degrease setting and let it soak a few minutes then rinse, hi then low power.

Puddin' Man wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Use a couple of cans of degreaser. Follow the directions and rinse it off with hot high pressure water. Don't hit things really hard or directly with the high pressure, hold it back a bit and just rinse it off.

Reply to
Scott

The most water sensitive part of your 4.6L is probably the top of the engine because the spark plugs sit down in holes. The plug wire boots *should* seal them, but that depends on how old the wires are. I used to do it in the driveway with degreaser and the garden hose but that was with a 5.0 V8.

You might try compressed air if you have access to a compressor and nozzle. I was amazed when I tried it one day. Grime I thought would have to be soaked and scrubbed blew right out. Try to stay upwind if you do it... (cough, cough)

PoD

Reply to
Paul of Dayon

i just did a 94 cutlass 2.3 and the sob wouldnt even start!had to pull the spark unit engine cover and take apart and dry!i've done alotta other cars with no problem.

Reply to
oldkid

THIS IS WHOT I WERE SKEERED OF!! :-)

I just went out, tried to pull a plug wire, see if I could measure the cylinder, maybe devise a plug to keep the water out ...

Back around 30k mi. I got the plug wires off to install new platinum. All I 'member is that it was very difficult and that it didn't totally destroy my hands. Later had a dealer replace the wires when they cross-fired.

Now I cant get a plug wire off to save my soul. Maybe the connection arced and welded the connectors in the plug wires to the plugs?

Do I gotta buy a "plug wire removal tool" for my Ford? Would I have to buy one for a GM? MoPar??

Cheers, Puddin'

Reply to
Puddin' Man