'94 TBird LX V8: Water pump?

Re: '94 TBird LX V8: Water pump?

Car in subject line has 61k mi.

I pull out the garage the other day, look back, see little puddle. Not at all inclined to ignore such things, I go back, determine it is coolant (ethylene glycol and water).

So I pull my usual trick, throw huge piece of cardboard under rediator/motor, wait for more leaks. No leaks for a while.

Now the weather's gone to hell, it's leaking again. Spotted

2 trickles from the plastic cover under the radiator this morn.

Every time I open my Haynes manual, I am reminded of the fact that it would make excellent kindling ... I am perpetually tempted ...

Do these 4.6 L beasties typically need a water pump replacement after only 61k (mostly city) miles?

Where's the coolant overflow on this silly goose?

Water pump is just above the crankshaft pulley? If it's the pump, and I put it up on ramps (running), I can crawl under, maybe see coolant coming out the weep hole in the pump (just like it worked many years ago)?

They didn't move it back the gas tank with the fuel pump, did they??? Just kidding, just kidding ...

I can't work on it 'till the weather improves, but I can maybe nail down what to look for in the meantime ...

Thanks, Puddin'

Reply to
Puddin' Man

Water pumps still work the same way, with the weep hole and all that. I have

109K on my '94 Mark VIII and it has the original water pump. Toss the Haynes manual and look for the factory Service Manual on eBay or go to the source at:
Sharon K.Cooke

Good!

Thanks. I hoped for as much.

If not the pump, I wonder what? Coolant has never frozen (was good to -38F, I checked last week): not likely freeze plugs [do they still have freeze plugs? :-) ].

Looks like $80 for new on helminc and $69 for used on Ebay. Short on $, I set up an Ebay auto-search.

Thanks, Puddin'

Reply to
Puddin' Man

Puddin - I found a factory service manual on CD on Ebay a few weeks ago for '93 - '94 Fords - I gave $5 for it......... (I had to do a water pump on the '93 Cougar 3.8L)

PoD

Reply to
Paul of Dayon

Paul,

Much thanks. I didn't glean that such manuals were available on CD. My simple Ebay search netted only hardcopy for some reason.

How difficult was the pump replacement on the 3.8L?

Cheers, Pudd>Puddin - I found a factory service manual on CD on Ebay a few weeks ago for

Reply to
Puddin' Man

The worst part of the job was leaning over the front for so long. I think doing the 4.6 is easier. I just put a new fan clutch on my Crown Vic with that engine. I think it was designed for easy replacement. I don't recall for sure but you might not need to remove hoses to do it... On the CV, I pulled the electric fan & shroud (it has electric and manual fan) and all was easy to get at. I'll see if I can email you a PDF of the manual pages later.

PoD

Reply to
Paul of Dayon

I guess maybe the front of the 4.6 isn't so far back as the 3.8 ...

Got the PDF for the pump, no problem.

Paul of Dayon is "A Gentleman And A Scholar!" (and a nice guy to boot)!

The fan and shroud disassembly etc are pretty well covered in the Haynes manual (the thing's not a -total- loss), so I'm "good to go", or will be when the snow melts.

Copious Thanks, Puddin'

Reply to
Puddin' Man

I remember the 4.6 being much easier than the 5.0. It's because of the accessory placement, pump mounting , etc..... It' just easier to get to. The 4.6 actually sits more foreward than the 3.8, the 3.8 pump has more bolts and accessories to move out of the way. Remember, straight down over the core support is harder on your back than down and a little foreword of you. Your shoulders naturally want to extend your arms back away from your torso a bit. Ok, I went to an ergonomics class a few years back... I agree, PoD seems like somebody I'd like to have for a neighbor\car cobbling buddy. We're "almost" neighbors. He's near Dayton, I'm near Cleveland. Close enough in the grand scheme of things. If he ran into trouble on a car, I'd make the trip for lunch (and maybe dinner with fuel prices these days;)) and the chance to cavort with another car guy.

Reply to
Tom Adkins

Aww... +BLUSH+ thanks guys...

just glad to help. I've been wrenching under the old shade tree for a long time...

PoD

Reply to
Paul of Dayon