96 PSD shut off

Turning off the key on the 7.3 DI turns off the fuel injectors.... The direct injection motor uses electronically controlled fuel injectors.

Reply to
Jim Warman

What shuts off a 96 Ford Powerstroke diesel? Is there a fuel cut off solenoid? And if yes, where is it?

Thanks,

Al

Reply to
Big Al

So, what shuts it down? The ECM? My friend has one and it shuts down while driving. He says, I've never seen the truck, if you get out and wiggle the wires near the front of the engine it will start and run again for a while. He was having a hard start when cold problem, they changed a solenoid, I'm thinking something to do with the glow plugs and now this. He just bought the truck so the "drop dead" thing may have been there before the solenoid was replaced. He bought it cheap because the transmission was out. So he really didn't get to test drive it.

Al.

Reply to
Big Al

Shutting off the key kills power to the PCM as well as the IDM (injector driver module)..... no electricity = no injector pulse.

The CMP (camshaft position) sensor has been a concern on the 7.3. This supplies rpm and camshaft postition information to the PCM and this sesnor has been known to go bad. I have also seen some where the wires to the CMP will chaffe on the front cover of the engine and ground out.

Other concerns to watch for.... Engine oil level and quality... these fuel injectors use engine oil under high pressure to actuate the plunger that injects fuel (under very high pressure) into the cylinder (Google HEUI injector for more info). The 7.3 will stall when engine oil gets down about

5 litres. Also, the electrical coil is held on to the IPR solenoid (injection pressure regulator) with a PAL nut (one of those thin, stamped sheet metal nuts) and that can come loose allowing the coil to move on the valve - making it impossible for the PCM to control pressure to the injectors.

A word of caution.... The PCM doesn't control the injectors directly.... it sends commands to the IDM and the IDM controls the injectors..... These injectors run on 115 volts (yes, one hundred and fifteen) so care must be taken when working around these when the motor is running or cranking.

This can be a pretty complex system until one becomes familiar with them and the engineers have designed things to operate in ways that might not be expected....

HTH

I'll try to keep an eye out for any further questions you might have but I will be away from home at the Edmonton Ford training facility until Wed. evening.

Reply to
Jim Warman

Thank you.

Al