Shut off; 96 PSD

What exactly shuts the engine off when you turn the key to off? And where is it?

Al

Reply to
Big Al

Well its the injector driver module aka IDM... Since the pcm powers down with the ignition, so do the injectors. There by shutting down the engine because it doesnt get any fuel in the cylinders.

Why might you be asking?? Are you experiencing a run-away engine? If you are, I would be going after the o-rings on the injector not keeping the HP oil out of the cylinders.. Thus allowing the engine to continue running..

Ford Tech

Reply to
Ford Tech

I witnessed a run-away diesel once years ago. The rings were worn and it was running off the oil or something. Scared the bejesus out of everyone in the shop, including me.

RCE

Reply to
RCE

Its funny how they have a way of doing that.. LOL I will say runaways are more prominent on larger diesel engines that create larger amounts of thrust, but none the less, its still scary as hell cause it wont shut down unless you can kill its air supply.. I saw a Detroit D671 runaway one time while I was in the Navy.. Its a two stroker, and the intake sucked so hard that when we hit the air shutoff, it sucked the cover right into the blower... LOL

Ford Tech

Reply to
Ford Tech