96 Taurus automatic transmission

Intermittently goes forward at idle or slightly faster engine speed, as if the torque converter only working some of the time. In reverse, seems to work fine. I haven't tried to rev up the engine to see if it will move at fast rpm, as I worried that this could make matters worse.

Back of car, trunk area, covered in a light film of oil. At cold temperature the fluid level is at the bottom of the dip stick just up to the cross-hatched markings. I haven't run the engine to warm up the tranny fluid to measure it hot because, again I don't know if this will damage the tranny more than it is now.

Please help!

Reply to
Tony Nelson

What color is the oil covering the trunk? Is it inside the trunk or ourside, like on the bottom? (I suspect that you mean covering the bottom of the car, but you never know.)

The rev. gear is lower than the forward 1st gear and cars usually start in

2nd gear, so it might not be a problem at all.

You may want to drive the car to your regular mechanic. (I wouldn't go strait away to a transmissions shop -- some of them find problems that aren't there to get more work.)

jeff

Reply to
Jeff