97 Contour GL 2.0L starting problem

I've got a 1997 Ford Contour GL 2.0L (4cyl) with 78,400 miles that is having a problem starting. A few months ago I was using it as a daily driver and then the next day it wouldn't start up. Just cranks like a champ but acts like it was getting no gas. As I was broke at the time I've been using my other vehicle ever since.

As I originally thought it a fuel deliver problem I replaced the fuel filter (never been done so it probably needed it anyway) and the same problem is occuring. I've not replaced the fuel pump but I can hear it turn on and pressurize the line when I turn the key to the "on" position.

After this, I started looking at possible electrical issues. As I've stated it will crank fine, so battery is good. I even have a charger and it cranks fine with that hooked up. Terminals are nice and clean with no sign of corrosion. I pulled the plugs and because they were worn down to the nub I replaced them as well, just another thing it needed or was going to need soon anyway. I tried leaving one plug out and grounding it out against the block while cranking but could not see any sparking. Tried the same with another plug just to make sure. Even swapped in the old plugs and tried it with still no spark. Plug wires all look in good condition and I doubt all would croak at the same time. I swapped in a new coil just to see if that was the issue and sure enough, still will not start and doesn't give spark.

I've checked all the fuses one by one and even swapped out the large brown and white ones with identically numbered brown and white ones. It still does the exact same thing. At this point I'm not sure what to take a look at next. Any ideas?

Brandonb

Reply to
Brandon Buckner

Try looking at