97 Ford Taurus 98,000 + Miles

I have a 97 Ford Taurus GL Sedan with a 3.0 L Engine. Lately I've noticed that it has been driving a lot rougher than normal and the engine does sound louder than normal. I do have the oil pan gasket that is starting to push out but is not leaking yet (for the 2nd time) and I do need to get my rear sway bars replaced but I believe this is something different.. When I'm driving 55 mph + then slow down it feels like the car has changed to a lower gear (it's an automatic transmission) but I haven't changed gears. When I accelerate some times the car just doesn't feel like its going anywhere and then it jerks to the right speed. I've taken it to my mechanic and he probably thinks I'm going crazy about my car, but I swear there is something. Any clues?

Reply to
HWiitanen

I think you better get your transmission fluid and filter maintained pretty quick if you have not done so. Maybe what you are feeling when you slow down is the torque converter lockup coming unlocked as it supposed to do. Effectively, it feels like you are in a lower gear and the engine is turning more RPM's. That jerking on acceleration could be transmission slippage, a very bad sign. If the engine is revving up and you are not moving forward as expected, that's probably it.

Reply to
Al Bundy

I just spent 2300 @ a national chain for basically the same thing. The trans hadn't been maintained prior to my purchase, and I got stuck for the rebuild. 3 yr/ 36000 mile warranty, though.

Reply to
Eric G

Reply to
septicman

you got screwed............royally.

Reply to
septicman

probably not. I had the same thing happen, and it cost less than $60 to fix it.

Reply to
septicman