97 Sable EGR Valve

Group, I have recently taken my car to Autozone for the Service Engine Light(SEL) Diagnostic, they told me the EGR valve needed to be replaced. During that time the SEL went off about for week by itself,. Came back on so I went back to the Zone and they told me EGR Valve.. My dad and I took off the Valve an it was built up with Carbon I cleaned it out to my best . The Chilton manual say disconnect the battery for 5 min, befor i could make it home the light was back on. So my next step was to just purchase a new EGR V and installed it myself.. Well i disconnected the battery and the light came back on again.. SO my question is to turn off the light does it actually work disconnecting the battery last time i left the cable off for approx. 45 minutes. Or is this a dealer thing where they have too erase the code..???? Your help is needed.. My car has 158k I havent seen that light since it had 40k mile on it.. Mercury Sable LS Duratech engine

thanks

Jay.

Reply to
Jay Smit

Diagnostic codes are an aid to an experienced mechanic. They do NOT simply tell you which part to replace. The code(s) could be caused by any number of things other than a malfunctioning EGR valve.

You might want to share with the group the exact code number(s).

Reply to
Mark Olson

number(s).

Agreed, Autozone parts people a FAR from technicians. If they will garantee that it will fix it, (you can bring the part back ) than by all means try it :) Then next try the DPFE sensor (EGR sensor), then if that doesnt work try the EGR soleniod......get the idea? The code is just a place to start. Then with a good manual and test equipment you can diagnos it. The first thing to do is check all the vacuum lines and electrical plugs. Then manually open the valve at idle, the engine should stumble, if it doesnt you have a plugged passage. Just so you know, pulling the battery cable for a few minutes will reset the code.

Reply to
Scott M