98 F-150 Triton 4.6L Engine question

Are all of the 4.6L Ford V-8's basically the same? Specifically, could I swap out a blown 98 F-150 4.6L Triton V-8 with an engine out of say a Lincoln or Mustang 4.6L? I know I would probably have to swap out headers, intake, etc, but are all of the 4.6 engine/head assemblies the same?

Reply to
popof1010

Well, the problem is, to start with, is there are 4 different 4.6L V-8 engines that might be in your truck. Granted, one is the CNG version which is unlikely. Two plants, one plant made two versions of the gasoline V-8.

So, no, they are not all the same. If your engine is VIN code W, it was made at the Romeo plant, not Windsor. Silly isn't it. VIN code 6 is the Windsor engine. There are differences in the truck vs. car engines, different emissions, power bands, etc., so you will need a 1997 or 1998 truck engine to replace the Romeo. For the Windsor, you will need to know if the flywheel is bolted up with 6 or 8 bolts, but also will be a 1997 or

1998 truck engine only. There were changes to the 1999 & up, the engines were unique almost every year in one way or another with calibrations, PI(Product Iimprovement), and so forth. The Romeo survives after 2000. Things get really crazy with truck engines in 2002 with 7 versions of the 5.4L, and a mid-year change to the Romeo 4.6L.

The Windsor/Cleveland/Boss engines and the 335 engines were so much easier to keep track of...

Rob

* * *

Reply to
Trainfan1

Thanks for the info. Mine is the VIN code W. I guess we will be looking for a 4.6L out of a 97 or 98 truck specifically.

Reply to
popof1010