After removing rust Putty or Primer.

I have removed rust from a section at the rear of my vehicle down to the bare metal. Do I now have to apply putty first and then primer before the top coat. If I have to apply putty first which putty do I use there are a number of different putties.

Also what is the correct primer to use over the putty if the putty is needed.

Thanks in advance Denny B

Reply to
Denny B

first you remove the rust, then depending on how much metal is missing from the rust then you apply BONDO or a similar product and then sand it down to the appropriate level, you want the bondo to be level with the metal surrounding the area that you got the rust from.. then you sand it out(the bondo) and then put the putty on the area (putty is used to fill up the areas that bondo does not(you want it to be as smooth as possible), i dont know what kinds of putty you have available, whoever you get it from ask them, they can read the tube and let you know..... then you sand the putty with a 600 git sandpaper and then if you are satisfied you prime and sand some more down to a 600 grit wet paper or smoothere and then spray you color coat... hope this helps... i got this from a 1970's book... dont know what they use now, they never used clear coats back then, at least as far as i know?????

Reply to
jim

jim wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@noname.com:

If there is going to be any time whatsoever between patching and final coat, make sure to cover the repair with primer/sealer. The reason for this is that neither Bondo or regular primer are water tight. Many Bondo jobs fail eventually because they were left unsealed, and moisture got through to the metal underneath. Rust under the Bondo - we've all seen it.

I make it a habit to spray the entire area with a rust converter before patching. The effectiveness of these things are always debated, but I figure it can't hurt. There are always going to be tiny rust particles, no matter how fine you sanded, and rust never sleeps as long as it has oxygen.

Reply to
donutbandit