98 Grand Marquis surges (misses) at high speeds

My 98 Grand Marquis is surging at highway speeds. Seems as though this is a common problem with this car. My brpother has 99 CV and he had to replace spark plug coils. Could there be anything else causing this? By the way, my brother's 99 CV needs a new ignition switch because his shorted out. I'm wondering if mine will do the same? Seems like thesed are all common problems.

Reply to
finiteguy

I have a 2000 Crown Vic and after many miles of missing and two trips to the dealer (under warranty) I decided I had enough of this B.S and decided to replace ALL 8 coils and plugs. It was the best thing I have done to this car, and it runs like it was new. All I can say is to go for it. You can toy around with it and try to sort the bad coils out but I did not have the time and patience to do this. I purcahsed 8 coils at $48 each from auto zone and took one hour to do the whole job. I have 77k. on it and I have noticed that I get this missing problem in the hot summer months so I think it could be the boots breaking down also. Let us know how you make out. Good luck!

Reply to
chuckster

It's normally the boots that fail, the coils are usually ok. When a coil fails it is usually a dead miss. I don't have the source or part number handy, but replacement boots are available. One should treat the boots as a maintenence item like spark plug wires. This is also an application where dielectric grease on the boots is an absolute must. Without it the boots WILL carbon track down the sides of the boots to the base of the plug in very short order.

Reply to
Tom Adkins

Reply to
finiteguy