98 Grand Marquis Stalls at idle speeds

This car is giving me a lot of trouble. Stalls at idle speeds, stalls when I take my foot off the gas on the highway. I am getting it fixed Friday. Can't do it till then because I can't get the time off to do it. This is getting to be the most dangerous vehicle that I have ever owned. Suspension parts all failed at 60 k miles. This will be my last Ford product for sure.

Reply to
finiteguy

May be an idle air motor causing the stumbing.

How is it dangerous? If you sit in the thing for awhile, and you go somewhere, then you're okay. Not sure why the suspension failed, but if it is fixed it is fixed. Sorry. Remember: Ford invented most of the suspension parts that are in the competition's vehicles.

Reply to
paper

Obviously, if it stalls while on the highway and his steering gets real stiff, that is a safety problem. Same with left turns, etc.,etc. It does seem that all the tie rod ends go out on these Fords at pretty low mileage. And whoever invented something has nothing to do with how well they are produced or modified.

Reply to
Al Bundy

The engine stalls at idle so I have to rev it up a little and puu it in gear while my left foot is on the brake and my right foot is on the gas, otherwise it stalls. I realize it may be the idle motor part. Still, this is a very dangerous situation and I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER FORD PRODUCT AS LONG AS I LIVE. THEY ARE REAL TOILETS.

Reply to
finiteguy

I agree, every other manufacturer produces vehicles which -never fail- or have components which wear out after 7 years on the road. It's only Ford.

Reply to
T.

i might think it is your TPS throttle positioning sensor...dont knock a ford,,they're the best car ever made in the usa

Reply to
mobilemechanic76

Hate to break it to you, but ALL other car makers use a variation of the same part. Wanna buy a horse?

Reply to
Tom Adkins

Tom Adkins wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

I will also assume he will never buy a Nissan rustbucket.. or a Passat because the coilpacks all fail .. Or an English built car because they use Lucas junk... the list goes on and on.

Anyway...I'm sure he feels better because he got that off his chest.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

From your description, it is almost certainly the IAC (Idle Air Control). It is likely all you need to do is clean it. Worst case is a $100 part and 20 minutes of labor - except if you take it to the dealer. A Ford dealer will most likely hit you up for a problem diagnosis (~$75), a full hour of labor, and charge you retail price for a new Ford IAC - figure around $225.

Good luck on finding a vehicle that never fails. The closest I have had was a 1996 Explorer. As long as I owned it, it never needed a repair - but then I only kept it for 35,000 miles. Worst vehicle I ever owned was a Toyota, it needed something almost monthly. I currently have a 13 year old F150 that has been pretty good - two mufflers, one alternator, one starter, one fuel pump in almost 14 years and 100,000 miles is not too bad. My Mother's 1992 Grand Marquis needed no repairs in 8 years and 85,000 miles. Her current

2000 Grand Marquis has needed one IAC in about 50,000 miles. My Father's 6 year old Ranger has also needed one IAC in 60,000 miles. My 2003 Expedition has not required any out of warranty repairs and now has 75,000 miles. My Thunderbird has not needed any repairs, but it only has 15,000 miles. My Saturn Vue hasn't required any out of warranty repairs, but it was recalled to change the rear suspension and reflash the PCM.

If you think you have suspension problems with a Crown Vic, do some research on Toyota Tundras or Dodge trucks in general. As far as I know, there is not a rampant problem with Crown Vic suspension. 75% of the Taxi cabs in my town (Raleigh NC) are old Crown Vics purchased from the local state surplus auction (they were originally patrol cars). I see plenty of them cruising around with 200,000 or more miles. I've never seen one broken down on the side of the road.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White