98 sable -- high idle -- TPS screw

My mercury sable 98 tends to stuck at high idle(~1500) after a 10 miles drive recently. From this group, I find out that it should be the TPS (Throttle Postion Sensor) goes wrong. Just bought a new one but, unfortunately, I found that the two screws that fastening the TPS are very hard to loose. Their position made them can not be loosen by a normal screwdriver. Can anyone give me some ideas on how to loose the screws? thanks.

Reply to
jason02

Pull the Dist cap first to gain Straight on access to them. then make sure you use a GOOD #2 tip Philips. Possibly a #3 tip. If you striped out the heads alreay, the use a pair of vise grips..carefulley around the head of the screw, get a good bite, then turn. or if want you could try Sears and go for those Easy Out screw remover bits. last resort. they are kinda expensive.

If this car is still giving you the same problem after changing this TPS, try removing battery ground for at least 15 minuets. This will clear out the CPU and force it to re-evaluate the engine, throttle positions, timing, fuel-air ratio's. the whole bit. Ford recomends you drive at least 10 miles after Clearing the CPU in this way. Might also wanna scan the codes before clearing it too.

Reply to
Techie

Have you checked the trouble codes? In any case, if replacing the TPS does not fix the problem, have the Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) sensor checked. A bad ECT will also result in high idle.

mike

Reply to
Michael