TPS connectors - what are they for? (Nissan Primera)

My 2000 2.0 Primera has two connectors to the TPS. One is brown (which seems to be the actual throttle position sensor) and one is grey and only has two out of three wires connected. What's this for?

One particlar reason I ask is that the car will cut out around 1900 revs on a light throttle with this connected, but is fine with it disconnected!

Charles

Reply to
Charles Elliott

Is it an auto? If so, the 2nd set are for the auto box ECU.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

One has two switches on it, idle (throttle shut) and fully open. The center pin is common. On manual gearbox they only use the wide open switch on (autos use both and have three wires to both plugs), so this should be the two wire one. The switch should make contact when the throttle is closed at tick over and open at about 250 rpm above tickover. Just adjusting the position of the switch (undo screws and rotate tps on throttle body) to make it operate may be the solution. It's possible the switch is not making contact due to someone having wound up the throttle's base idle position to mask some other fault like a coked up AAC valve which is what the ECU uses to keep the tickover steady. So before moving the tps disconnect the AAC and check the revs drop to base idle (about 50-100 rpm less than normal) if there is no drop set base idle by using throttle idle screw. Then check the idle switch on the tps and find out what is wrong with the AAC valve. The AAC valve is a solenoid on the side of the plenum that operates a tapered sprung loaded plunger though a brass orifice, the whole body should be removed and cleaned with carb cleaner. If you have air con there may be second solenoid to raise tickover for that.

The one with 3 wires to the plug should be a variable resistor that gives 0-5v in relation to throttle position. One wire is ground, one

+5v and the last (center?) the variable output.

Peter Hill

Thanks Peter. It's a manual.

My car has A/C but a couple of further questions if I may. The actual issue with my car is a high idle - it varies from start to start but is ~1000rpm on average in a warm car.

I'd concluded (from using a meter) that the second TPS connector was a throttle open switch and understand about rotating the TPS. However, my understanding was that the variable voltage connector should output

0.50v at idle. If I rotate the TPS to this setting, I'm not sure that the throttle open switch operates at the correct time. Is 0.50v correct?

The AAC - is this the black plastic coated solenoid? This was going to be my next target for cleaning and removing. With this (and the TPS?) removed, I'm assuming the idle should be around 750rpm.

Where's the A/C solenoid? Is this the one that operates directly on to the throttle butterfly 'cam', the one the throttle cable wraps round?

Cheers,

Charles

Reply to
Charles Elliott