98 Taurus - Dead Diagnostic Port

I have a 98 Taurus that has a Check Engine light on constantly. I took the car to an AutoZone to have the codes scanned and it woldn't power up the scanner that they plugged into the diagnostic port. Thinking it might be the tool, I took it to a different AutoZone, but had the same problem. I have a manual that gives some typical diagrams, but nothing that shows what module(s) the connector ties into, which connectors/pins it goes through, etc. I don't have any clue how to troubleshoot this problem. Any suggestions would be welcom.

Thanks, Steve

Reply to
Steve Judy

the only problem with auto zone is that not all of the salesguys went to school to learn how to use the scan tool.. only some and then they had to teach the other salespeople at the store... when this happens you have a good chance that one guy went to all the local stores and messed up telling how to do it and they all got it wrong???? take it someplace else... they could not find the plug on my 96 contour nor my

93 taurus... they kept looking under the hood for the plug on the contour but it was under the left side of dash.. and on the 93 contour they kept looking under the dash and it was under the hood... gives you an idea of the quality of the person who was testing your vehicle.....
Reply to
jim

Check all of your fuses, both under dash and under hood. A quick look at a diagram for a different Ford with OBD-II shows several tied in with the engine controls. Most scan tools light up somehow when plugged in. The key needs to be on for them to communicate, tho.

Hope this helps. - PoD

Reply to
Paul of Dayton