1968 Instrument Cluster problem

The instrument lights on my 68 convert. weren't working when i purchased the car...

I just removed the cluster to change out the bulbs I thought were burnt out... but they still are good.

In surfing the internet... I found that there should be a ground wire (s) from the cluster to a ground point... that is (are) missing.

Is this true?? from where on the back of the cluster do they attach??

I do have a (very simple) diagram.. that seems to show three points - left, right.. and above the speedometer to the right a bit are three screws that look like they might do the trick.

AM I GOING TO BURN DOWN MY CAR - if i go ahead and wire these screws to a ground???

- strangely enough (or maybe not) - the blinker lights, the brake light and the high beam lights work fine.

Perplexed..

Thank you in advance...

Mike

Reply to
Dr Tang

It's actually a small piece of sheet metal that runs from the back of the guage cluster to one of the screw holes that mounts the cluster to the dash. Unfortunately I didn't see it in my Classic Industries catalogue. You may have to go searching through E-bay or similar places.

...Ron

--

68' RS Camaro 88' Formula Bird

Some are wise and some are otherwise

Reply to
RSCamaro

Reply to
Bruce Korsvoll

Are you saying that only the illumination lamps are not working? Then the most likley cause is the headlamp switch. The reostat in the headlamp switch will get rusty over time and increase the resistance in the illumination lamp circuit.

Reply to
David McNally

- - - -Fixed the problem. After several hours of fooling around with a Ohm meter, continuity tester and the like.. it boiled down to this: #1 - no ground for the dial lights section... the other lights ground from the strap the fastens onto the dash at the top middle screw... but the night-time illumination lights needed a seperate ground... so i ran a wire and took acre of that. #2 - that circuit was not getting any power...the wire was bad.. that particular wire is the grey one going into the male plug that goes into the instrument cluster... so i found the correct power wire coming from the switch (green i think..) and jumped it there..

- now I can drive at night and see by how much i am exceeding the speed limit.

1968 firebird convertible 4 speed/ 428 (not original obviously)

Mike

Reply to
Dr Tang