A different arrangement for fuel pumps

They may not be that unusual, but they are damaging to the fuel delivery system.

That's why they added a fuel guage, so you could monitor the status of the remainig fuel load.

In all fairness to you, I would not have thought of taking the bed off to gain access to the fuel tank and pump.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Tom Adkins -

Nehmo - Is there something that makes the pump stop when the engine quits? The ignition switch would still be in the run position until the driver makes the change, and the driver, perhaps in desperation, may try repeatedly to start.

And I'm a little upset the Chilton gave misleading advice. Maybe there's some logic to their recommendation. You would think those guys knew what they were doing.

The section I used was from the online version. Here's a copy:

down to the Fuel Pump part. It's brief.[If anybody wants this, copy it rather then bookmark it. It won't laston my ISP provided space.]

-- (||) Nehmo (||)

Reply to
Nehmo

Look here...

As shown the fuel flows THROUGH the motor. Thus pump will only overheat if there's no fuel flowing. and if other electronics are right, it wont run long if there's no fuel to flow.

While the low-tank syndrome applies regarding sporadic flow, once the engine doesnt get enough pressure, it will stop, and then the Fuel Pump will stop, as well

Solution, dont worry too much about maintaining 1/4 tank...DO gas up when the needle hits 'E' or low-fuel lite comes on

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

I think the last thing one would want to do is put positive pressure in the fuel tank. In the event of a puncture rapid fuel loss would be assured. In the event of a collision, this could make the tank sort of a flame thrower. All of that aside, the tanks are vented to the emissions control system. They are designed so siphon off gasses to the EC system. Adding positive pressure to the system would really play hobb with that set up. My take: pull the bed. I've had two Rangers and driven each a combined total of 300K plus miles. Neither had a fuel pump problem. You have just been unfortunately unlucky.

Reply to
Reece Talley

Jim, fuel pumps failed more often on carbed cars, but I've lost electric pumps on every FI Ford I've had except my '85, '89, '91, '98, & '01 Crown Vics... BUT I never drove those as much as my Taurii, Tempo, Aerostar. I think it's more to do with miles/hours(& the filter issue).

It was not unusual to replace a fuel pump every 40-50 K on carb cars when we drove less(that might have been 3 to 6 years) and didn't keep cars as long. Last carby car to need a fuel pump for me was an '82 LTD S(255 V-8, VV carb).

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

I hate to even admit anything like this..... but the old 283, you could just about set your watch by when the fuel pump would calf.... and if you're old enough to remember the 283 as a current production engine, I feel for ya...

I have yet to personally experience a fuel pump failure on an EFI vehicle.... however, I do replace my fuel filters annually... this is part of what I expect to be my last service before the cold weather settles in. At this time I recheck my coolant strength and condition (we use a lot of test strips at work so that part is good... for personal use, remember that test strips have a "shelf life"), block heater operation, battery performance and so on... I have little patience for unexpected breakdowns - add that my loving bride is often placed in a position where she must travel a lonely highway in some pretty bad conditions alone.... There is a very real chance that some might consider what I do as "overkill".... at the same time, my operating costs (for what little bit I do track them) are very low... and my inconvenience factor and frustration level are miniscule.

Owning and driving any motor vehicle should at least be enjoyable... it can be if we realize that taking good care of our units involves planning and tools.... not Armorall and a rag...

I was chatting with another Harley owner just a few days ago..... he was busy chastising me because my bike doesn't really gleam in the sun.... As we parted company, he stalled his "spit 'n' polish" queen at least three times. I can't speak for anyone else... I bought my scooter to ride - not to polish.

Reply to
Jim Warman

HA! HA! HA! Jim you missed your calling. Or do you have a comic writing job on the side? Not to get too picky here, but.......Kansas City is built on the Kansas/Missouri state line. About 3/4 of Kansas City is in the state of....(drum roll please)...... MISSOURI !!!!! I think there is an 1886 Kansas law that outlaws overengineered Nehmos, so maybe we are safe here. Also, I've got a 300K mile '88 Cougar that I've replaced the fuel pump on 3 times, so it's had 4 fuel pumps in it's life, so far. 'Course, maybe I use crappy fuel pumps, I don't know.......

Reply to
Kruse

Another flip side, BYM.... my loving bride is the "gasser upper" for the "good" truck..... she hates to get below a half (can I make it to the store???).... But, I find it much easier to gas up when I have the urge to gas up rather than have to break into a cold sweat about it.

I keep harping on "convenience" factor... if we do things when it is convenient for us to do them, we are never worried about having to do things when it is inconvenient. So what if I have half a tank? Theres the pump island, a soda would be nice, might as well do "the nasty" and be done....

Now, I realize that there are a lot of people out there that aren't "driven".... but, for some, there is much to be said about simply getting our fat asses out of the desk chair and "doing something"... which I must do directly.... with warm weather, I want to finish the framing in my addition so I can get the inspector in. I went to work about 11PM last night and yanked the transmission out of an ambulance (nothing good on TV, anyway) and later today, if I can find someone to help lift, I can get the replacement trans on to the jack and get it in by tonight.... and even have time to "Q" some burgers in between...

Reply to
Jim Warman

Work? Yes. Needed? No. Further, you would have to take care to filter the "blown" air. A pressurized tank would need to be carefully designed to be opened for filling without "burping" gasoline (pressure release before openning). A pressurized tank might be considered a higher explosion hazzard.

The existing design is meant to reduce cost of manufacture. These pumps usually don't die for the lifetime of the vehicle. You're unlucky, that's all.

They could use a more simple detection method in the fuel line or the pump itself. I agree on this as my SO killed her fuel pump recently after the second time she ran out of gas (because the gas guage indicated nearly 1/2 full when in fact it was empty). Crappy Chevrolet.

Cheers, Alan

Reply to
Alan Browne

When I went to remove the bed on my truck, not one bolt came out. They either snapped or spun the nut inside the frame....

I sure wouldn't try that on a 6 year old vehicle up here in the rust belt, nor would I recommend it.

Mike

Mike Romain

Your responses were posted under my message but clearly they related to someone else, possibly the original poster. You will stand a greater chance of having someone understand the context of your messages if you send them to the correct person.

Reply to
John S.

Uh.. yeah, which is why I apologized immed, next post

Again.. my bad.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Jeff Strickland -

Nehmo - I finished the pump replacement, and the truck runs... but...

After I got everything back together, I idled the truck for several minutes. I checked for leaks and couldn't find any. I drove down the alley and the truck died a couple hundred feet away. Looking out the window, I saw a rapidly increasing wet spot on the pavement, and this meant I was bleeding from an artery. Further inspection revealed the

90=B0 elbow connector on the top of the tank was the culprit.

My first attempts to reach my hand to the elbow were unsuccessful, and I was contemplating the remove-the-bed technique. But then this time if I dropped the tank, I wouldn't need to do it all the way. I could get to the elbow by just dropping the rear of the tank. Anyway, while I was weighing the alternatives, I jacked up the left side of the frame and gained enough reach to push down on the elbow. It seemed to work. I only drove to the nearby gas station and back, but it didn't leak again.

I'm thinking about drilling a hole in the bed so that I can use a rod to get a good push on that connector. Maybe I damaged it when I disconnected it. It has a green button in a slot that you press to release. I thought it snapped in position when I connected it the first time; maybe it didn't.

This connector is on one of the lines that goes to the fuel filter. Maybe I'll have to replace that line.

Before I sign-out for the night, thanks everybody. I truly appreciated your help.

-- (||) Nehmo (||)

Reply to
Nehmo

Easy there pardner! You're talking about one of the all time great engines in the history of automobiles. My first set of wheels was a 64' Biscayne wagon with the venerable 283. Bought it used for $195 with 73K and drove it to well over 150K. I changed the fuel pump more than once (easy job) but I never had to do any major mechanical work on that engine. Eventually I had to take the 64' off the road because of a rusted frame, so I put the 283 into a 70' Belair wagon and drove it for several more years. I finally sold the engine when it was 16-years old for $200, which means I got my money back on the 64' wagon! Makes me tear up just thinking about it. ;-)

Reply to
Fordfan

Nehmo - So there's a fuel pump timer? So how does it work and where is it? If the engine is off, the fuel pump only works for a minute or so? What happens when you try to re-start? Does it go for a minute or so again? And how does it know if the engine is running?

-- (||) Nehmo (||)

Reply to
Nehmo

Gotta get a zinger in here... SO WHAT DIFF does that make?

Never mind I also think the SB Chevy was the greatest V-8 ever designed and built (YES, over the Ford flathead!), doesnt change the fact that the fuel pump was prone to failure..

it was only an easy job after you learned the trick of axle-greasing the FP pushrod to hold it in place....Remember that?

Weel, that's alright, then.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

The Ford flathead may have been the quietest V-8 I ever heard or didn't hear. I remember when my father's 53' Victoria was idling next to me and I couldn't hear the engine. I had to open the hood to see if it was really running! That engine also caused me some early teenage consternation when I received a Renwal 'Visible V-8' model engine kit for Christmas one year. I couldn't figure out why the kit didn't look like my father's 53' Ford V-8, particularly the location of the spark plugs in the heads. I didn't know about flatheads back then and also that 53' was the last year for the Ford flathead. The kit was a model of an OHV V-8 from the mid' 50's. :-)

Sure do. The FP pushrod used to slide out of the block unless you 'glued' it in with some heavy grease. Otherwise you had to be real quick with installing the pump before the pushrod fell out. BTDT :-) It also helped to have the engine rotated to the low point of the FP drive cam' so it wasn't applying any force on the pushrod and the pump's drive lever. If not, the spring tension on that lever had to be overcome while you were positioning the pump in the block hole.

I sometimes wonder if that old 283 is still running in someone's restored Chevy.

Reply to
Fordfan