abs problem???????????

1995 Ford F150 5L 4x4 automatic trans Driving through town today, turn signals just stopped working. Emergency flashers don't work. I pulled over to check if I blew a fuse or something. Checked out ok. I got back in, started the engine, noticed the abs light flashing. Tried to put it in drive and it won't come out of park. No shops open so I had it towed home. Any ideas before I talk to a local mechanic?
Reply to
zimpzampzormp

Brake light switch. Be sure to check both brake lamp bulbs. Some vehicles respond this wat when all are blown. It won't hurt to check them anyway.

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut

Thanks. Just replaced the switch, checked all bulbs and wiring connectors and no difference. Problem is still there. Still no turn signals, 4 way flashers, brake lights, abs light is still flashing and transmission won't come out of park.

Reply to
zimpzampzormp

I have followed some tips and rechecked some fuses. Sure enough 7 and 13 were blown. Didn't see that when I was looking at them while stalled in traffic. Now have turn signals and emergency flashers. No brake lights though. Need to look at the harness at that switch to see if there is a break in it somewhere. May even be in the plug? There is also a loose, unhooked green wire that I've never noticed at the master cylinder. Has black shrink tubing on the tag end and is part of a harness. May have always been there, not hooked to anything but I don't ever remember seeing it like that. Maybe that's just "old man syndrome". LOL Also tried the moving of the shifter just before the on position and it worked too. At least I won't have to have it towed to my brother in laws shop if needed. It's only 7 blocks and I should be able to make it using hand signals with my wife followin behind in her car. [ :^ ) Tomorrow, after I get my own money making jobs done, I'll look at the brake light bulbs and make sure they aren't burned out. Oh, and the abs light stopped blinking but it is at a steady on condition. I also need to look at the shift lock and find out why that stays locked. Quite a coincidence that all these problems occurred at once. Thanks again to all who have helped and will help (I hope).

$pook

Reply to
zimpzampzormp

Pretty simple once I put some thought into it. Wire was broken inside of the connector. I think the old stoplight switch is still good and will keep it as a spare. Logically that should have been the first place I should have checked. I didn't think about the fact that I have to press the brake pedal before I can take it out of park, and since the computer couldn't sense that I was depressing the brake pedal, I couldn't get out of park. Of course wiring problems always scare the beejeebs out of me so I guess my mind turns off to those. [ :^)

Reply to
zimpzampzormp